Oklahoma Joe's horizontal smoker-looking for info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello, you have a early 90's original OKJ-KD Smoker. The KD stands for Knock Down as this smoker you can remove the smoke stack, you can remove the front shelf, also you can remove the legs. It's still a solid 1/4" thick welded construction smoker your just able to remove those parts and pack it up in your RV, Truck etc. why I know this well I happen to have the exact same model.

Joe Davidson sold the company to NB in 1998' then he wanted to get back into building them once again and started Horizon Backyard Smokers. Joe Davidson is a standup guy super friendly. When NB took over they started using the same steel as it was left when Joe sold the company but, soon after the 1/4" steel ran out they starting making them with 3/16" steel and bolting on the firebox to the main chamber this was so they could push them the the bigger box stores. Once charbroil took over it all want to shit, feel bad for all those that buy those bolt together smokers, paint peels off you have to put all types of mods to them etc.
Happy & Smokin' [emoji]9832[/emoji]️

Last edited:
Joe Davidson sold the company to NB in 1998' then he wanted to get back into building them once again and started Horizon Backyard Smokers. Joe Davidson is a standup guy super friendly. When NB took over they started using the same steel as it was left when Joe sold the company but, soon after the 1/4" steel ran out they dropped to making them with 3/16" steel and bolting on the firebox to the main chamber this was they could push them the the bigger box stores. Once charbroil took over it all want to shit fell bad for all those that buy those bolt together smokers, paint peels off you have to but all types of kids to them etc.
Happy & Smokin' [emoji]9832[/emoji]️
NO NO NO NO NO NO & NO! Joe has nothing to do with the Horizon company. His brothers Roger and Steve are running the Horizon show. Joe has recently been brought back into the Charbroil fold to help market the OKJ brand. I talked to Steve a few months ago. Joe and Horizon are not on the best terms right now. Steve also said the plant was making smokers for Brinkmann in 98 as Charbroil did not resign the lease agreement and had all manufacturing coming from China.NB had nothing to do with it.They were bought by Charbroil in 97 and OKJ was in 98.

Thank you! I stand corrected I thought for sure my information was correct as it was from a friend of mine who's father worked for OKJ back in the day. Anyway thanks again for the information.
Happy Smokin'

Hello, you have a early 90's original OKJ-KD Smoker. The KD stands for Knock Down as this smoker you can remove the smoke stack, you can remove the front shelf, also you can remove the legs. It's still a solid 1/4" thick welded construction smoker your just able to remove those parts and pack it up in your RV, Truck etc. why I know this well I happen to have the exact same model.
Our models are exactly alike....however they are 3/16 thick steel and not 1/4. The KD units were designed to be lighter in weight. I have a 1/4 to compare it to and it's bigger in metal thickness. Measure the thickness on the door. It should tell you. it has to go from line to line when measuring....If it fits just in between it's 3/16.

What I have been told when they sold the business they sold all the 1/2" stock they had etc and when NB ran out of the 1/2" material that's when they started building them with 3/16" material and started bolting on the fireboxes. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]

My firebox isn't bolted.....I remeasured and its right in between 3/16 and 1/4....crazy I know......perhaps an oddly made pipe. Well even if it is 3/16 I do not think it will matter all that much. Yoder is now all 3/16 and beats anything on the box box store market.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky