Oklahoma Joe Pellet Mod thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RobertoRojo

Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I currently have a Dyna Glo vertical offset smoker. I am looking to upgrade a little (around $500).

I have been thinking about a pellet smoker however, I do like playing with fire. But, when it comes to the long smokes like Pork Butts and the like I wouldn't mind the convenience of a Pellet grill.

My thought is to get a Oklahoma Joes Longhorn Reverse flow smoker. Later I will add a Pellet hopper assembly to the left side of the grill. In theory I would have the best of both worlds.

Your thoughts?

I appreciate a dreamer lol.......I'm not sure that's a solid plan. You'll need the hopper, controller, auger assembly and fire pot. You'd then need to fabricate a heat diffuser to sit over the firepot. After you've bought all that you could have easily just bought a cheap pellet smoker

I appreciate a dreamer lol.......I'm not sure that's a solid plan. You'll need the hopper, controller, auger assembly and fire pot. You'd then need to fabricate a heat diffuser to sit over the firepot. After you've bought all that you could have easily just bought a cheap pellet smoker

Lol yeah, that kind of dream is probably better left for those that have more time and money than myself.

Odds are I will go with something like a BBQ Guru.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I just got done taking apart and putting my OK Joe Pellet back together to clear a jam and while that far did more cleaning. Having a better idea of how it all works now it sounds like a neat idea but there will be a far amount or work and cost as stated by TNJAKE TNJAKE . That being said I do believe I have seen where some people have made their own pellet smoker before, maybe they could chime in.

I currently have a Dyna Glo vertical offset smoker. I am looking to upgrade a little (around $500).

I have been thinking about a pellet smoker however, I do like playing with fire. But, when it comes to the long smokes like Pork Butts and the like I wouldn't mind the convenience of a Pellet grill.

My thought is to get a Oklahoma Joes Longhorn Reverse flow smoker. Later I will add a Pellet hopper assembly to the left side of the grill. In theory I would have the best of both worlds.

Your thoughts?
For Christmas, I'm getting a DIY Pellet Burner to add to my Vertical Offset Smoker. I think your idea of adding a pellet burner to an offset smoker is great. I plan to run both sides at the same time...but I can choose to run one side only - If I want to. My theory...The Pellet Burner will give me the temp control I want and the Stick Burner will give me the smoke flavor I love. Won't know the results until around New Years day, but I've made all my drawings and am ready to get started. I've got about $230 wrapped up in the Combo package so far. Going to seal my box a little better, but that's about it. I'm as excited for Christmas day as a 4 year old....Merry Christmas everyone.

Depends on how much you got to spend but there's not that much involved in buying a completed pellet hopper assembly. Cut a hole, 4 bolts, and a heat diffuser which you can buy as well. I got mine from smoke daddy inc.

Depends on how much you got to spend but there's not that much involved in buying a completed pellet hopper assembly. Cut a hole, 4 bolts, and a heat diffuser which you can buy as well. I got mine from smoke daddy inc.
I'm planning on using a Ceramic Pizza Plate as a Heat diffuser. It's the right size and It's just setting on the shelf in the back of the cabinet. You are right...there's not much involved in completing my DIY.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky