Oklahoma Joe Longhorn (considered wood or charcoal?)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank yall for the responses.
Texas Hunter- How thick is your baffle plate? Does it have to angle up on the far right to fully cover the hole? Could you please post a picture of your mods if you do not mind. The only two that I am not sure on is the baffle plate and the basket you mentioned. Thanks again.

Davidmcg- I guess I am not too worried about sleeping, but more confused as to how some of yall cook a pit full of ribs, butts, brisket and chicken when they all have different cooking times and the chicken especially has a higher cooking temp.

Pineywoods- Thanks for the advice about using different hot spots to my advantage, but I do think that some spots are too hot. Maybe after I do the baffle plate thatTexas hunter mentioned it won't be so bad.

Thank yall again for the help, I guess I need to stop worrying about it and go ahead and fill that bad boy up. I suppose the butt would be the first thing that I put on right? Oh and another thing that I just thought about, if I use rib racks, and everything fits but it is tight, how am I going to wrap the ribs in foil and put back in there? Do they ahve to be wrapped individually or can I pile them up?

Thanks, Steve

I used 1/8" 316 S.S. started w/ 1/4" holes and moved up to 1/2". so far it works great.

Thank yall for the responses.
Texas Hunter- How thick is your baffle plate? Does it have to angle up on the far right to fully cover the hole? Could you please post a picture of your mods if you do not mind. The only two that I am not sure on is the baffle plate and the basket you mentioned. Thanks again.

Davidmcg- I guess I am not too worried about sleeping, but more confused as to how some of yall cook a pit full of ribs, butts, brisket and chicken when they all have different cooking times and the chicken especially has a higher cooking temp.

Pineywoods- Thanks for the advice about using different hot spots to my advantage, but I do think that some spots are too hot. Maybe after I do the baffle plate thatTexas hunter mentioned it won't be so bad.

Thank yall again for the help, I guess I need to stop worrying about it and go ahead and fill that bad boy up. I suppose the butt would be the first thing that I put on right? Oh and another thing that I just thought about, if I use rib racks, and everything fits but it is tight, how am I going to wrap the ribs in foil and put back in there? Do they ahve to be wrapped individually or can I pile them up?

Thanks, Steve

If you want to burn sticks ,read this...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101
good read, thank oldschoolbbq

I need to make a heat shield for my Oklahoma Joe could someone please give me some overall numbers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky