Ok, you guys win!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
I picked up an A-maze-n 5x8 at Fleetfarm tonight. I keep hearing about them here so much, I figured I'd give it a go. Wasn't sure I wanted to spend thirty bucks, but the wife is counting it as a fathers day gift. Grabbed a bag of Apple pellets as well. Smoking eleven pounds of bacon in the morning, we will see how it goes. You people are a bad influence on me!

Reactions: crazymoon
Sweet! Only issue I have had is if I place it where fat can drip on it. Puts it right out. Other than that, It is money well spent

KB, Just follow the instructions to get it light and them keep an airflow going.They make a great addition to your smoking arsenal.

Smoker is only running 59 degrees, should I might some charcoal to heat it up, or is the bacon going to be ok running at that? I assume the cure will keep it good, but I usually warm smoke it.

Two hours in, gone through about a third of a row. Figure I'll try the whole tray and see how it goes. Running around sixty degrees. It will warm up later today, unless the storms start. Smells good.

You don’t even have to have the smoker on. I cold smoke all of my bacon using the tray. You will cook it before eating it anyways. That smell is like non other!

Two hours in, gone through about a third of a row. Figure I'll try the whole tray and see how it goes. Running around sixty degrees. It will warm up later today, unless the storms start. Smells good.

Sounds Good!
I usually Smoke Bacon between 100° and 130° smoker temp, but I keep it in there for the whole AMNPS Tray to finish smoking (about 10-11 hours).

Bear

You don’t even have to have the smoker on. I cold smoke all of my bacon using the tray. You will cook it before eating it anyways. That smell is like non other!
Yea, I was a little brain dead this morning. I'll just run it out of pellets and see how it tastes in a few days, if I can wait that long!

I go by Bear's warm smoking instructions, also. I believe that you can get the same amount of smokiness in the bacon in one day, that would usually take 3 days if cold smoking.

Sweet! Only issue I have had is if I place it where fat can drip on it. Puts it right out. Other than that, It is money well spent
you can tent it with tinfoil, or foil pan not sure what type smoker your using but look into the mailbox mod.

So far So good. Puked out at six hours, but re-lit easily. Didn't want today at the excess smoke, so I threw in some deviled eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_121031.jpg
    IMG_20190615_121031.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
It ran twelve hours as advertised. Well, except for the one hicup. I'll let the bacon chill the fridge a few days and see how twelve hours of smoke taste.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_185410.jpg
    IMG_20190615_185410.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190615_064034.jpg
    IMG_20190615_064034.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190615_064043.jpg
    IMG_20190615_064043.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: chopsaw
Kawboy , looks good . I just did some following bearcarvers steps . 12 hours of apple pellets at 120 came out perfect for me . I let it rest 2 days , freezer 2 hours then sliced .

Kawboy , looks good . I just did some following bearcarvers steps . 12 hours of apple pellets at 120 came out perfect for me . I let it rest 2 days , freezer 2 hours then sliced .
Thanks. I only ran around 60 - 70ish, that was the outside temp, I only ran the maze. Yea, I plan on chilling a couple days and trying out the new slicer.

Chill a couple of days to let the smoke mellow / even out . 2 hours in the freezer will get you a nice slice .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky