Ok to throw some store bought pork sausage in my smoker along with some other things?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sinseven

Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
I bought some brisket, chicken and ribs to smoke today and saw some great looking sausage. I figured I'd toss them in this morning and have them for lunch while the other items keep smoking all day..  then I started reading all your post on nitrates and curing, and botulisim!!!

I was thinking I could just throw them in there, smoke them for like 3-4 hours and they would be fine. I'll probably be running around 200-225 degrees, will this be safe and about how long will they take? I only have 2 temp probes and was going to have them in the brisket and chicken.. should i put 1 in a sausage instead and move it to the chicken after they're done.. or can I just estimate the time?

Thanks!!!!

Scott

Last edited:
I bought some brisket, chicken and ribs to smoke today and saw some great looking sausage. I figured I'd toss them in this morning and have them for lunch while the other items keep smoking all day..  then I started reading all your post on nitrates and curing, and botulisim!!!

I was thinking I could just throw them in there, smoke them for like 3-4 hours and they would be fine. I'll probably be running around 200-225 degrees, will this be safe and about how long will they take? I only have 2 temp probes and was going to have them in the brisket and chicken.. should i put 1 in a sausage instead and move it to the chicken after they're done.. or can I just estimate the time?

Thanks!!!!

Scott
At those temps, you should be OK:

If the sausage wasn't cured (no nitrites/nitrates) you have to get it from 40˚ to 140˚ internal in 4 hours.

If it was cured (it probably wasn't), you don't have to worry about that danger zone time.

Either way you have to take them to at least 160˚ internal. I take mine to 165˚.

I'm thinking, put a probe in the sausage & the chicken. Then when the sausage is done, clean it real good, and put it in the Brisket, since the Brisket will take a lot longer than the sausage or the chicken.

And whatever you do, don't forget the Qview!

Bear

what kind of sausage did you buy?  Breakfast bulk, or little link, or Italian link, or brats?

Some pork sausage from Whole Foods...  that's all the package said. "Pork Sausage". It's been almost 4 hours, and they've been sitting at 159 for awhile.. I'm ready to eat!!!

Q-view to make your mouth's water...

850183da_008.jpg

a2d4ebbe_009.jpg

They were great... but didn't take on as much smoke flavor as I would have expected. Maybe the casings keep it out? They were hickory smoked all 4 hours. I pulled them at 161 internal.

Last edited:
They were great... but didn't take on as much smoke flavor as I would have expected. Maybe the casings keep it out? They were hickory smoked all 4 hours. I pulled them at 161 internal.
They look real good!

What kind of wood did you use? I like Hickory, because it makes them more smokey than Apple, Cherry, and many others.

I also make most of my beef sticks, summer sausage, and anything else I can without casings, because I believe casings do block some of the smoke from getting to the meat.

Thanks for the view,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky