OK to cover rewire instead of leaving it open as described in Auber PID instructions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

front sight

Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I’ll be ordering an Auber PID, Model: WS-1510ELPM and going to wire it directly to the heating element. Just wanted to get opinions on the following: I have a MES 40 and the instructions state: For the 40 inch smoker, a 16 AWG power cord is recommended; the 14 AWG cord is even better. Would a 12 AWG cord be an overkill?
Then it proceeds to go on how to wire it and then leave it like this:
444340-df5872028c749942e99bd154aa9c435f.jpg
Which in my opinion looks like crap. The instructions say: We don’t recommend to install the back plate back, because the insulation of the power cord may not have the temperature rating, as the fiberglass insulated wire used in the smoker. Sealed compartment might get too hot for the wire insulation part. But if you can get high temperature power cord, you can seal it.

A high temperature power cord is priced ridiculously high and don’t want to buy wire and male plug to make my own so that is why I asked about the 12 AWG power cord.

What I want to do is drill a hole in the middle of the back plate and then attach a Non-Metallic Strain Relief Cord Connector something like this:

1588957736329.png

Then put the 5 screws back with the sixth one attached to the ground wire to the chassis.
Or is there another way to cover it up?

Thanks

Attachments

• Rewire a mes.jpg
    Rewire a mes.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: chopsaw
What mosparky said.

When my stock controller finally dies I'll be wiring a PID per tallbm's instructions.

I peeled the rubber off the back plate and stretch over the screwheads for easy removal and inspecting the lugs periodically. The access has the rubber interior and the six hole rubber cover but I would secure the ground and cable tie to secure the power cord from one of the bottom three access holes so condesation etc doesn't run into the access area. Just come up from the bottom than the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky