Ok Here We Go!! First Smoke on New Pit! Heavy Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Hey folks, I purchased the Vision Grills Pro C Series Kamado a couple of days ago.  I broke it in yesterday on some NY Strips and Chicken thighs.  Today while working on the honey-do list, the Mrs. ran to Sams Club to stock up on a few things.  MUCH to my surprise, she comes back with a truck full of meat!!  A whole Strip Loin, Baby Backs, Pork Butts, Whole Chickens

I was so overwhelmed with joy I immediately wanted to dive right in with ribs AND butts lol  But then I remembered I had rubbed and injected a 5lb brisket last night.  So that is whats on the menu today.  I received a delivery today which included 50lb mix wood from Fruita and the Large Adjustable Rig R&B Combo from CeramicGrillStore.  After opening the boxes, I could not figure out how to setup the rig and decided to just set the oval stone it came with on top of the vision rack, and then I placed the oval rack on top of the Rig.  Since this is my first run with the new smoker, I didn't want to add to the possibilities of messing it up.  I cranked the smoker up and slammed the brakes on early (around 200) so I would not overshoot my target temp of 230.  Right now it is sitting nicely at 235 and has been steady for the last 30 mins (not a bad miss).

(Above) The chunks I got today from Fruita. . . . Apple, Pecan, Peach and Post Oak

I was trying to figure out how to set the rig up and just gave up, replacing it with the oval stone and oval rack as mentioned above

The Mrs also came back with some drip/water pans.  They were just a little too big, but the thought is all that counts.  I just simply tucked the corners in and filled with water.

Here is the star of the show.  A 5# Flat.  I did a simple rub of kosher salt, pepper, some accent and a little garlic powder.  I plan on leaving it on the whole time (no foil) and pulling it off around 198-200 IT.  More pics to follow a little bit later!

You're a lucky man to have the wife bring a haul like that home. I just got an order of peach from fruita. Never tried peach before. Hoping to smoke some on Thursday

You're a lucky man to have the wife bring a haul like that home. I just got an order of peach from fruita. Never tried peach before. Hoping to smoke some on Thursday
Yeah I gotta admit I am a pretty lucky guy, definitely nice to have someone who understands the passion I have for bbq even if I do mess up from time to time :)  I used to order pecan and peach from fruita and gotta admit, I love every single product I have ordered from them.  Nothing is overpowering, the flavor is incredible.  I think you'll like peach, I use it mainly for butts and ribs.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out

It's 5pm EST and the brisket has been on for 2 hours now.  I hit a little bit of a temp spike (not too bad).  Target temp is between 235-250 and it got up to 254 but has since stabilized.  I have found with this smoker that keeping the bottom vent just barely cracked open along with the top vent gives me the most stable temps, although it has climbed 1 degree every 5-10 minutes.  Overall this is such a more enjoyable cook than any of my previous combined using an offset smoker.  Too many times I was battling the weather, turning the smoker so there was no wind gust shooting temps up etc. 

I'm hoping I don't hit too bad of a stall, i'll be paying close attention these next couple of hours.

My first peak at 2 hours in, looking pretty good.  Hopefully it turns out great!

Very nice, maybe it's the wife's way of tellin ya she likes your Q. Nice new smoker and Q does look tasty, nice job Thumbs Up

"Beautiful pit! You know they should give you an open tab at the local butcher good for one week when you buy one. You should break that baby in on them! Sweet pit man, congrats!"

LOL... so what shall we wish for today? Never ending wet bar? World Peace?

Very nice, maybe it's the wife's way of tellin ya she likes your Q. Nice new smoker and Q does look tasty, nice job
icon14.gif
Either that or she is weakening my defenses so she can ask to go shopping LoL  I am definitely pleased with it so far.  Brisket is stalled right now at 160, we'll see how long this one lasts

Running into a hiccup here. . . . the IT has been stuck at 160 for 3 hours now.  I have only cooked a brisket once before and don't recall a stall  like this, especially on a 5 lber.  I moved the probe to a different spot and the IT shot up to 171.  Still has a way to go.  Smoker temp has been steady for the 1st 4 hours but has begun to drop in temp.  I added a few pieces of lump and they are just starting to catch.  Here is what it's looking like right now

Ok, I got through the temp issue last night and pulled the brisket at 1140pm with an IT of 198.  I wrapped it in foil to let it rest.  Here is how it turned out

Nice smoke ring on it, right in between tender enough for either sliced or pulled.  Great flavor and texture.  This first cook was a definite success!  Thanks for lookin

That's a great looking Brisket!  And I would def. keep the wife around a little longer if she comes back with a haul like that ;)

good job on the brisket, close to 1/4'' slices and everything
Thank you sir.  Brisket definitely isn't my strong suit, this is only the second one I have ever smoked.  I know I have a lot to learn about cooking it properly as with anything else low and slow.  I think I'm off to a pretty decent start and I have only you all to thank for the progress I have made in the last couple of years 
77.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky