Offset Smoker Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
GonnaSmoke, I just think it would be so much easier having a top lid and a side door on the firebox, especially if I have it designed to cook hamburgers, grill steaks or whatever. I will definitely play with the water but I am glad to hear it's not necessary. Appreciate your response.

So I'm a little confused. Why not just buy a weber kettle rather than get an offset designed to grill burgers and steaks? It'd be massively cheaper and better suited for the job.

I understand your interest in a door at the end of the firebox but I dont think it's necessary. Plenty of air gets into the fire from the intake in the end of the box. And as noted the top door makes it easy to add charcoal and splits. It's 3/8" steel. It recovers quickly and holds heat very well.

Foldable smoke stack? I saw that on a Meat Church video. Mine doesn't leave it's parking spot so I don't need it.

As far as the tuning plate. I like it on my Bell Fab. It keeps the side closer to the firebox from getting en fuego. In my smoker it keeps the Temps roughly 25° cooler than the stack end. Perfectly acceptable for me on a stick burner.

I understand you're giving this purchase a very hard look. It's a lot of money. However, I can't count how many times I've walked out to check my fire and temps only to find them both be perfect. I then turn to my wife and say, "This thing is worth every single penny."

Reactions: Creosote and TNJAKE
So I'm a little confused. Why not just buy a weber kettle rather than get an offset designed to grill burgers and steaks?
[/QU
I plan on smoking brisket, ribs, butts, cabrito and whatever else I can shoot, catch or buy. I thought it might be different to cook steaks or burgers over wood occasionally instead of a bbq grill.

I talked to Craig on Friday Feb 25th, and he is starting my smoker on Monday. Said it would be ready for pickup Friday the 1st so I am heading to Owasso, OK that day and stay overnight and pick the smoker up Saturday the 2nd. Ended up with the 24 x 48 with the pot warmer, cooking grate in FB, 2 cooking grates in the CC, a third port to run my ThermoWorks meat probes, tuning plate, stainless-steel handle covers and a fold down shelf. I ordered it in early December, and it has been an agonizing wait but all the comments from Bell Fab owners on the forum it will definitely have been worth the wait. It's springtime in East Texas so I am planning on really learning an offset and smoking as much as I can between the thunderstorms and tornadoes. TnJake and Displaced Texan, I hope not to become a nuisance on all my novice questions, but I am a rookie smoker. What's the best to learn a stick burner and how to smoke, chicken leg quarters, pork butt or ??? until I get good enough not to ruin a $100 brisket.

Finally drove up and picked up my baby. Now to learn how to build a fire and not create creosote. I am ready to start the process of learning to smoke brisket and everything else. It's a 24 x 48 with a 20 x 20 firebox. Got a tuner plate installed and added the stainless steel handles to keep from burning myself.

Attachments

• Bell Fab 1.jpg
    Bell Fab 1.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Bell Fab 3.jpg
    Bell Fab 3.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 34
Finally drove up and picked up my baby. Now to learn how to build a fire and not create creosote. I am ready to start the process of learning to smoke brisket and everything else. It's a 24 x 48 with a 20 x 20 firebox. Got a tuner plate installed and added the stainless steel handles to keep from burning myself.
Heck yeah. Congrats

Heck yeah. Congrats
TnJake, Craig is a super guy, really enjoyed visiting with him. It's amazing the work he puts out in that small shop. Give me the best info you can for building a fire (how large to start with), a full bed of embers/coals or what and how. Help, got to get this thing fired up and cooking without black smoke.

TnJake, Craig is a super guy, really enjoyed visiting with him. It's amazing the work he puts out in that small shop. Give me the best info you can for building a fire (how large to start with), a full bed of embers/coals or what and how. Help, got to get this thing fired up and cooking without black smoke.
I start with a chimney of lump. When it's ready pour into the firebox. Add 3 splits. Mine are 16in long and I cut them into smaller diameter. Lay 2 side by side on coals with space in between and the 3rd across those 2. Intake and exhaust need to be wide open. Leave firebox door open until the sticks catch fire otherwise they will smolder.
IMG_20210118_054730.jpg

Close door when sticks light. If your fire looks like this then it's burning clean. You won't see much smoke come from the stack. You'll need to add more sticks every 45min-1hr. I only use the lump when I first fire up the smoker. 100% wood after that. And just keep all your dampers open

I start with a chimney of lump. When it's ready pour into the firebox. Add 3 splits. Mine are 16in long and I cut them into smaller diameter. Lay 2 side by side on coals with space in between and the 3rd across those 2. Intake and exhaust need to be wide open. Leave firebox door open until the sticks catch fire otherwise they will smolder.View attachment 628367
Close door when sticks light. If your fire looks like this then it's burning clean. You won't see much smoke come from the stack. You'll need to add more sticks every 45min-1hr. I only use the lump when I first fire up the smoker. 100% wood after that. And just keep all your dampers open
Appreciate the heck out of the info. Gonna try this beast out hopefully this week but our wind has been blowing 20 mph and above for the last couple of days and is in the forecast for the next several days.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Do you have one being built by Craig?
Yes, I went on his list in December, but I told him no rush, so we’ll see! Planning on June last we talked. I’m getting one on a trailer. Probably too big, but he said I could still use it to cook a baloney sandwich🤣

Yes, I went on his list in December, but I told him no rush, so we’ll see! Planning on June last we talked. I’m getting one on a trailer. Probably too big, but he said I could still use it to cook a baloney sandwich🤣
That sounds like Craig and he does like smoking baloney so he's not kidding you. Think you will love his work.

Reactions: bauchjw
Wonder when he will start paying me a commission? Lol
Haha! I think you should get one too! I wouldn’t have known about him if it weren’t for you either! I mentioned it to him in our conversation, but he didn’t seem to understand the forum. I’ll put in a good word when I swing out!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Haha! I think you should get one too! I wouldn’t have known about him if it weren’t for you either! I mentioned it to him in our conversation, but he didn’t seem to understand the forum. I’ll put in a good word when I swing out!
Yeah I talked to him about the forum also lol. He wasn't interested. Super nice guy though

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky