Offset-smoker- how little smoke is still smoking ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mybulldog'snameisDonkey

Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Hi all,
I'm very new to smoking but absolutely love anything and everything smoked. Sorry if I'm repeating any past posts but I could really use some advice and have a quick question about cold cold smoking.

First some history:

I'm trying to honour my best friend's and neighbour's death this past halloween by following through on a plan we had to make Portuguese Chorizo. Our deal was that I'd build the smoker and he'd show me how to work with it.

I'm quite handy and built a drum style offset smoker with multiple racks and tuning plates to prevent hot-spots. Needless to say, I ruined the first of 3 batches of sausage thinking that the more smoke, the better.

I now realize that white smoke is the devil and have since played with vent settings to keep it blue but that generates a lot of heat. I don't have much problem keeping the smoker under 30 degrees but when I do, there is very little if any smoke visible out of the stack - yet the fire and ambers burn in the fire-box.

I have a very small timeframe to work with before it storms here and I have to freeze the meat I've marinated and stuffed for the season. I have about 30 lbs of chorizo left that needs to be smoked.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm using seasoned maple as fuelled am able to maintain steady temp.

Thanks in advance!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky