Off topic but 13th bday for daughter ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Sorry if it’s in the wrong section but my daughters 13th birthday is coming up in two weeks and I want to get her a nice gift. Back story she is technically my step daughter but her biological father has never been in the picture, I’m her dad we just haven’t been able to finalize the adoption yet. I was lucky enough to meet her when she was 4 just turning 5. Being in the military and moving a ton she has moved away from family she lived with her first 4 years, been to so many different schools and has been strong and taken it like a champ. Now she’s almost 13 (she thinks she’s 17) and definitely growing up. I want to get her something special to let her know I appreciate her and how strong she’s been and all the sacrifices she’s made. I’m looking for some ideas on what to get her/ or things to do for her to show her how proud I am because it definitely hasn’t been easy for her. I’ve googled some things but a lot of them are kinda generic and I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any good ideas?

Reactions: JLeonard
we only had boys but my God daughter got earrings
start with pearls and work your way up
or a nice neckless

Mike
Thats a really good idea jewelry can last forever and will be a memory for a very long time. Thats what my wife's parents did for her. She still claims she is bringing her parents to the theatre when she wears one.

No offense but we need a little more info is she a Tom boy, or a dressy kind of gal, does she fish, shoot guns. The options are endless depending on her hobbies or what brings her happiness. Any activities that you two enjoy together? Sometimes the most expensive gift is often the cheapest in money value but priceless when it comes from the heart good luck

I’m with Yooper and Nefarious. I’ve picked up random precious stones around the world and are going to have some of them made into jewelry for my girls….. maybe an inset for a knife for my boy. It’s easy to find artists who do custom jewelry on Etsy or Google for your local area. That way it’s unique to her.

Along Grizzly’s line of thought I have one girl that’s a Tom boy and another who is a princess. The tomboy still likes girly things, like jewelry, but when she’s older she would love a hand forged knife.

I guess the theme is something made by a craftsman and in line with her personality would be what I would recommend. We’ve moved a lot too and saved TShirts from different places and had a lady on Etsy turn the shirts into a quilt that my girls love. We talk about each memory, I have some deployment shirts mixed in.

Get a card and write on it all the things you just told us, all the love, appreciation, and great thoughts you have for her. It just might mean more than you could ever imagine, nothing says I love you more than saying "I love you". Maybe a gold locket to go with the card, slam dunk. RAY

Last edited:
I can think of two out of the normal gifts.
1. A brooch that captures your daughter's uniqueness
2. A Bible geared towards teens to help her deal with life hard choices

Just a thought or 2.

I'm with Ray . Make at least part of the gift personnel . You can have all kinds of unique gifts made these days . My Daughter does books of trips or whatever . If you have pictures of your moves and different places your were stationed , you could turn that into the story it is in book form . Add your feelings in the text . You know saying " You're worth it " is HUGE in a child's life . So many young adults never hear that .
If you have a favorite picture of you and her , get it framed .
5 x 7 . One for you and one for her . Just say " I always liked this picture of us " That can be one part of the gift . Simple , but it means so much to them .
Then you can get the standard gift , but your feelings were made known .

Since we don't know her it's hard to say...but something straight from the heart usually means the most! Son just turned 23 a few days ago but when he was still in high school he asked me what to get mom for her birthday. I didn't really know so I said ... make her a card, he wrote this...

20220603_223232.jpg

Might have been for Mother's Day, now that I think of it. But either way...that means more to her than any gift he could have bought her. So at age 13, a gift of some sort is probably wise also... chopsaw chopsaw had some great ideas .

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky