Off topic boot question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey all,

I know some of you all live and work in cold areas. I usually wear rocky boots and duty shoes but this year I am at posts I don't do much walking and it's all outside. I got a pair of Sorel with 200 g thinsolate. Any of you have experience with the brand? A buddy mentioned them to me said he liked em.

Kamik nationwide. Never gotten cold feet in them. I've had sorel before. Pair lasted 10 years. And were fantastic. Kamik's are every bit as good.

Reactions: negolien
I wear my sneakers when snow blowing or shoveling, but hiking boots are popular around here in the winter months. They're comfortable and waterproof. Snowmobile boots are also popular.

Chris

I wear my sneakers when snow blowing or shoveling, but hiking boots are popular around here in the winter months. They're comfortable and waterproof. Snowmobile boots are also popular.

Chris
I do the same at times too. Wearing sneakers while blowing the driveway. If it's really deep. Then I put on the Kamiks. I probably won't wear the boots with the John Deere. I'm thinking they are too wide to use the pedals.

Kamik nationwide. Never gotten cold feet in them. I've had sorel before. Pair lasted 10 years. And were fantastic. Kamik's are every bit as good.
Some of those Kamik boots look pretty cozy. I have never seen them before. Thanks for mentioning these Steve1

Reactions: Steve H
I do the same at times too. Wearing sneakers while blowing the driveway. If it's really deep. Then I put on the Kamiks. I probably won't wear the boots with the John Deere. I'm thinking they are too wide to use the pedals.
My snow blower is a walk behind, and I don't mind walking in a 1/2" of snow with my sneakers. My neighbor has his blower attached to the tractor and it takes him about 10 minutes more to finish his driveway.
Steve is your Deer engine cover made of plastic or metal. I was looking at them at Lowes a year or so ago and the covers were made of plastic. It kinda shocked me being a John Deer.

Chris

My snow blower is a walk behind, and I don't mind walking in a 1/2" of snow with my sneakers. My neighbor has his blower attached to the tractor and it takes him about 10 minutes more to finish his driveway.
Steve is your Deer engine cover made of plastic or metal. I was looking at them at Lowes a year or so ago and the covers were made of plastic. It kinda shocked me being a John Deer.

Chris
They are all plastic now. They are solid color. So, scratches aren't a problem. I was surprised as well. Considering the price point of the one I bought. This blower will make short work of my driveway. At 44". It'll be barely 3 passes for most of it. Except for the double wide section at the start of my driveway.

Chris
A john deer, Ariens etc....sold in the box stores are not the same level as the ones sold through the authorized dealer network.

A john deer, Ariens etc....sold in the box stores are not the same level as the ones sold through the authorized dealer network.
No. Not even close. The John Deeres sold at Lowes are light. flimsy, have junk B&S engines. And crap warranty. Mine has a 4 year bumper to bumper. And the dealer I went through, LandPro, are top notch IMHO.

Reactions: clifish
No. Not even close. The John Deeres sold at Lowes are light. flimsy, have junk B&S engines. And crap warranty. Mine has a 4 year bumper to bumper. And the dealer I went through, LandPro, are top notch IMHO.
When I bought my Ariens blower pre-Covid, I had it shipped from a dealer in Chicago to my door. No comparison to the box store models.

Chris
Half an inch?? Good Lord Chris, we clear that off with a whisk broom. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
Gary

Sorel, Muck, Kamik, and Baffin are all great brands of cold weather gear.

I love my Sorel Caribou for cold weather and deep snow. I have wide feet and these boots are great. I have the older model with the blonde cuff, too.
We generically call this style "Pac Boots". Probably a bit more than you need?

My son loves his Muck boots, but they are more for narrow feet and smaller calves.

I have a pair of 400g Thinsulate boots from Cabela's that sit on the shelf. Horrible boots. The soles get hard and slippery as the temps drop.

My current boots are cheap Itasca 200g Thinsulate hand me ups from my son. They work for me either walking or posting. Did I mention hunting?

Boot heaters are nice as you can turn them off. Used to wish I had them.
If really cold I use the chemical toe warmers as it is only my toes that get cold (heavy frostbite in my teens).

If you stand a lot, another option is cold weather insoles. I use them in my pac boots between the base boot and felt liner.

All in the past. Winter in Florida is so much better

I live where its cold and sorrels are a must have.. I wear these.

Some thing like these Mine must be the older model…
Here is another vote for Sorel's. Growing up in Alaska, these were our winter boots. Comfortable down to seriously cold Temps. Not sure if you still have to rub the waterproofing on them and bake them anymore, but I remember that from when I was a kid. Thought it was funny to see snow boots baking in the oven.

1330__23191.jpg

Edit: looks like you don't actually bake the boots, just warm them up to 120 before applying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky