Off the Radar Recently

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Long story short - in early Feb I had bacteria in my blood. Admitted to the hospital so they could quickly run testing that would normally take weeks/months to arrange as outpatient. It was supposed to be a 2-3 day stay, until they ran the tests and figured out the infection messed up my heart pretty bad and required open heart surgery (pretty shocking news to hear at 37 years old).

Had the surgery Feb 11, so today is three weeks post surgery. All went well, everything is fixed, and I'll make a full recovery and return to everything I was doing before. Been home for two weeks as of tomorrow, but heavily restricted on activity due to the chest incision and healing. Can't lift anything over 5lbs or reach my elbow above my shoulder. So, no smoking for a while for me - bummer, as I am missing the last bit of good weather before it gets really hot.

I did manage to grill some chicken thighs and burgers this week on the gasser with my mom as sous chef doing all of the things I can't do. Feeling much better so I'll be back around here more.

Wow, glad you are getting better and are back on the forum! You'll fire up the smoker soon enough.

Reactions: mcokevin
Long story short - in early Feb I had bacteria in my blood. Admitted to the hospital so they could quickly run testing that would normally take weeks/months to arrange as outpatient. It was supposed to be a 2-3 day stay, until they ran the tests and figured out the infection messed up my heart pretty bad and required open heart surgery (pretty shocking news to hear at 37 years old).

Had the surgery Feb 11, so today is three weeks post surgery. All went well, everything is fixed, and I'll make a full recovery and return to everything I was doing before. Been home for two weeks as of tomorrow, but heavily restricted on activity due to the chest incision and healing. Can't lift anything over 5lbs or reach my elbow above my shoulder. So, no smoking for a while for me - bummer, as I am missing the last bit of good weather before it gets really hot.

I did manage to grill some chicken thighs and burgers this week on the gasser with my mom as sous chef doing all of the things I can't do. Feeling much better so I'll be back around here more.
I'm glad to hear you are recovering. The whole situation sucks but I'm hopeful you are coming out on the good end of things now.

If you get some extended time and you can manage more cooking I look forward to all the food you make and any lessons learned you can share so we can all add them to our practices. Keep getting well man! :D

Man glad everything turned out. Smoking will always be there when your fully recovered. In till then Id sit around make a bucket list of smokes haha. Good to have you back!

Oh man glad you're home and on the road to recovery ! Crazy how like can take a turn so quickly but my SIL is in a similar situation.
Just take it slow and easy leave the quarts alone...think Miller ponies 😂.
Did they figure out the cause of the infection?

Keith

Wow! That's a lot to absorb for you. Hang in there and take care of yourself. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back to smokin' Q again soon!

Wow that stinks but glad your on the mend and going to be good. Take your time and do what the Drs say you'll have lots of time to get back into the smoking and other things

That’s a rough patch, but so glad you are bouncing back! Hang in there, take it slow and let your strength return!

TNJAKE TNJAKE , B BigW. , tallbm tallbm , SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth , 912smoker 912smoker , texomakid texomakid , pineywoods pineywoods , JLeonard JLeonard , bauchjw bauchjw , Brokenhandle Brokenhandle thank you all for the well wishes - much appreciated.

It's terrible life throwing curve balls when we don't even know we are in the game...but glad to hear you are on the mend!

Ryan
That's about the best analogy I've heard!

Oh man glad you're home and on the road to recovery ! Crazy how like can take a turn so quickly but my SIL is in a similar situation.
Just take it slow and easy leave the quarts alone...think Miller ponies 😂.
Did they figure out the cause of the infection?
They know the bacteria - it exists in the oral cavity, upper respiratory tract, and gut. Beyond that they aren't able to tell me anything definitive as there isn't some glaringly obvious source of infection like a rotting tooth or bleeding in my gut. Hope your SIL is ok - my advice is to not take it lightly and do not be afraid to get a second opinion from a different infectious disease dr. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat further.

All I can say is wow, that is just life changing and out of the blue. So quick things can happen that you would not expect.
At any age but 37, not even thing that could happen. Glad you are on the mend. You will be back at it soon enough , relax as much as you can

David

WOW !!! Kevin you are lucky you've got a doc that pushed you to the hospital...
Try and enjoy the healing process... Life will be good farther down the road...

WOW !!! Kevin you are lucky you've got a doc that pushed you to the hospital...
Try and enjoy the healing process... Life will be good farther down the road...
Yes - and thankful I listened to him. Probably saved my life. If the doctor himself calls your cell phone and tells you to go to the hospital, best to listen.

• Wow
Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky