October 11th MSG get together

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I will bring a decent size load of both apple and cherry and my chainsaw so everyone will be more than welcome to take what they want and or need...and ill cut it to size for a beer :)

The 18th is fine. Later in the month might be cooler for smoking cheese anyway.

I have some raccoons out front that are soon to get evicted. Anybody want them for smoking?? :)

I am doing pecan for a cheese smoke I think.
Agreed Cam, I think pecan is the way to go with the cheese. I'll bring the pellets too.

All I know is I'm going to do lots of Gouda...that's been the run-away family fav so far.

Alright looks like everyone's in so the 18th will be good!

Tower I lean towards cheddar and Gouda for smoking. Get yourself a few 8oz bars of Kraft cheddar when you see it on sale and then whatever block or wedge (around 8oz) of Gouda. You'll be happy with them!

Can't make it fpmich? Well if you change your mind you and your wife are certainly welcome at the ranch!
Thank you hillbillyrkstr .  Deb and both enjoyed meet you and your wife.  If we can make it, we will, but at this time don't count on it.

BTW, Tell your wife I did another "unintentional test" on Todd's Q-mats.   She'll get a kick out of this. 

I wanted to add second probe to check upper rack to lower grate temps.  What to use?  Oh yeah here is a leftover wine cork.  Cool! 

Stuck probe though it and placed on upper rack.  A while later when I went to take it off.... OOPS!  It wasn't cork.  It was synthetic! 

Melted into the Mat!   I pulled the mat and cork off together, they were bonded it seemed, and put a fresh mat on the rack to use.  I figured I had ruined a perfectly good mat.  Not so!  After it cooled a bit, it released the melted faux cork with no problems, or leftover residue.  Washed it, and good to go.

You can tell, we don't drink much wine, when me make this mistake.  LOL

Hey All.

I had to find this thread and catch up. I hope all is well. These last few week have been busy to say the least. I haven't smoked any cheese before and I plan on trying it son I hpe. However another get together is always a great thing. I sure hope I can make it. It's far, and again would not want to drive after a full day of smoke and beer. It's been a great summer so far with perfecting my sriracha and butter garlic cheese corn.  do want to pick everyone's brains. I have a very old cube freezer. It works. However not efficiently. Its lined with I believe with aluminum or stainless, not sure.

Either it would make a great converted cold smoke box, or a regular smoker with a heating element added. I sure the lining would determine the way I would go. Info from anyone would be appreciated. I ill post pics of it soon for accurate help.

Talk soon all take care. 

Tri Tips and smoked short ribs. 

The date is getting closer.  The weather is getting cooler.  My smoked cheese supply is getting smaller. 

October 18 is the date still?  Rockstar you need to change the title of this thread.

I want to hot smoke some nuts too.  Baked beans and nuts will fill my charcoal smoker.

My mes will hold a lot of cheese so I will have room there for cold smoking.

I am looking forward to this smoke. 

Stan

Yup still the date Stan. Not sure how to change the thread title. Doesn't look like there's an option on my phone to do so. I'm never on a computer so if you can do it,
Feel free Stan. Or maybe start another thread?

Yup still the date Stan. Not sure how to change the thread title. Doesn't look like there's an option on my phone to do so. I'm never on a computer so if you can do it,
Feel free Stan. Or maybe start another thread?
It won't let me edit your post Scott.  Look for the pencil icon at the bottom left of your first post to edit.  If you still can't change it we can start another thread.

Hello , hillbilly. That sounds great , can an 'oihOan'  come 
icon_question.gif
 , Do I need bring something
icon_question.gif

Trish and I love Road Trips and could possibly come up , if it's her day off
confused.gif

Send directions via PM and I'll bring my Water , can't have any 
beercheer.gif
 , but will enjoy seeing the  ones that do ( I am a avid 'Drunk' watcher)
ROTF.gif

Have fun , goodluck and . . .

Looking forward to it!
So far the weather has not been good for salmon. We are headed back up thus weekend. Hope the fishing is better.
Good luck Cam with the fishing.  The weather might not be good for salmon but it seems perfect for the moles.  My front yard is full of mole tunnels and I have two traps set with nothing yet. 

icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif

confused.gif

beercheer.gif
ROTF.gif

Stan you and Trish are always welcome at any of the Michigan smokes.  We would love to meet you and share good food and conversation with you.  I will pm you with the address. Hope you can make it.

Stan

icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif

confused.gif

beercheer.gif
ROTF.gif

Hey Stan! We'd love to have you join us! It would be good to get some brisket tips from the master!

Last edited:
Try to make it oldschoolbbq if you can.  Heck, it's probably close to the same distance for both of us.  Would like to meet you.

And to the host, hillbillyrkstr, yes, that means that Debbie and I may be able to make the gathering after all!   we are going to do the Colorado trip this month, so barring things getting in the way, we should be able to make it.

It'll be good to meet some people for the second time, to help me remember who is who, if nothing else.  LOL

And of course, it is always s good to meet new people.

Last edited:
Good luck Cam with the fishing.  The weather might not be good for salmon but it seems perfect for the moles.  My front yard is full of mole tunnels and I have two traps set with nothing yet. 

If your having mole issues, than I'm guessing you also have grub issues. If this is the case, then just kill the grubs and the moles will leave because of lack of food.

Sure ya can come on up from ohio old school bbq! Long as I don't have to hear any buckeye talk! Lol!

Good to hear FP! Glad you guys can make it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky