O'CHARLIE'S CARAMEL PIE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not a big dessert guy, but I'd be all over that!!
Al
Thank you Al. To be totally honest, I am not a huge desert eater either. However, I do like fresh homemade fruit pies like peach and apple, with a huge scoop of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on top. This caramel pie is over the top and so simple to make.

Looks good. Boiling the Can is one pretty fool proof method of making the hugely popular confection in Mexico and South, Dulce de Leche. Made with the tangier Goats Milk its called Cajeta...JJ

I agree with being fool proof for sure. Didn't realize it was so popular south of the border. Thanks for the info. I can tell you one thing, It's popular at our house. LOL!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
i was working on a project that caramelizing the sweetened condensed milk and then pouching it to eliminate the need for the individual stores cooking #10 cans of sweetened condensed milk for hours to make this. Received a 50 gallon drum of sweetened condensed milk to caramelize in a large steam jacketed kettle and then pouch up. I had pouches of this stuff forever. Every party I attended I made this for. The high sugar content will allow for it to be frozen and still cut easily.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawging It
i was working on a project that caramelizing the sweetened condensed milk and then pouching it to eliminate the need for the individual stores cooking #10 cans of sweetened condensed milk for hours to make this. Received a 50 gallon drum of sweetened condensed milk to caramelize in a large steam jacketed kettle and then pouch up. I had pouches of this stuff forever. Every party I attended I made this for. The high sugar content will allow for it to be frozen and still cut easily.
50 gallons!! Holy Crap!! Thanks for sharing that it can be frozen. Probably going to make several. Freeze a few and give away the others. Happy New Year!!!
HAWG

While I have never made a pie with boiled SCM I thought it should be mentioned that what the OP is turning the SCM into is called dulce de leche, or Cajeta as mentioned above. Dulce de leche is normally available a shelf or two away from the regular SCM and Cajeta is often available in the Mexican/Latin food section of your local grocery. Not sure if the thickness of home made dulce is different than the store bought stuff but it may be a time saving shortcut to just buy it.

Also if you place the cans of SCM on their sides they don't rattle as bad while cooking.

While I have never made a pie with boiled SCM I thought it should be mentioned that what the OP is turning the SCM into is called dulce de leche, or Cajeta as mentioned above. Dulce de leche is normally available a shelf or two away from the regular SCM and Cajeta is often available in the Mexican/Latin food section of your local grocery. Not sure if the thickness of home made dulce is different than the store bought stuff but it may be a time saving shortcut to just buy it.

Also if you place the cans of SCM on their sides they don't rattle as bad while cooking.
Thanks. I'll stick with the SCM. It has worked for me for 20+ years. I have plenty of time and the rattling cans don't bother me as I am hard of hearing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky