Not sure where to start kamado cooker, pellet smoker, or something else?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomad_archer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Brickerville, PA
I am new to smoking meat. I have enjoyed some delicious smoked meats my friends has prepared the past few years on his masterbuilt electric cabinet smoker. This weekend the wife and I stopped at the local hardware store where they were doing a demo with the BGE and Traegars. We loved the free samples and I finally got the blessing from my wife to get something to smoke some meat.

I am now in research mode and am not sure where I want to go. I currently have a small portable weber propane grill, and a 36" blackstone griddle. The primary objective of my next purchase will be to smoke pork, chicken, beef, wild game, smoked mac & cheese etc. However I like the versatility that is marketed with both the kamado style cookers and pellet poppers and having the ability to use them as more than just a smoker. I am looking for something that is lower maintenance during the cook and wont need tended to every hour.

Some of my requirements are:
1. It needs to be somewhat portable because for the time being it will be stored in my garage and I will roll it out into the driveway for use. Eventually I will build the patio and cook station in the backyard but that is a year or so out.

2. It needs to work in the winter. I am in PA and it does get cold in the winter and I don't want a cooker that is only good for warmer weather.

3. Budget: I have a soft max of 2K or less. I want to buy once and not be replacing parts and or the whole unit in a few years.

I have been looking at Traegars, GMG, BGE, and Kamado Joe's so far but I am not tied to any of them. At this point I'm not sure what will fit what I think my needs are. There may also be other options out there I am not considering. Any help/input is very appreciated.

My vote would be a Kamado. Although it takes a little more effort up front to start the lump charcoal it lbs not that bad. I use an electric loop lighter for mine. There is a bit of a learning curve controlling heat with the airflow. Versatility is phenomenal though. Temp can range all the way up to 500F for searing or pizza. Check out Primo and BGE Kamado too. Honesty with some wise shopping you would get a Kamado AND a pellet pooper and still hit your budget. If you are just going to use the new unit for smoking and not grilling is also look at some vertical cabinet charcoal smokers. Backwoods, Assassin, Humphreys all build models that would fit your budget I think. I have a kamado,small Traeger pellet pooper, MES40 and a charcoal cabinet 270 Smoker I bought used. Hands down for smoking I use my 270.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I would buy a rec tec pellet smoker and be done with it lol, good luck its a challenge ti pick just 1 cooker

I second the rec tec! I have had mine almost a year and love it. used it all winter too. easy and versatile.

Both an egg and pellet pooper should be fine in winter. My small budget Pit Boss pellet smoker works just fine in winter. Having read many many posts over the past year or 2, Rec Tec seems to be where the pellet smoker love is at, lots of not so great reviews on Traeger - though plenty of people have them and love 'em. With your budget you could also get a Yoder. Tough call to get one or the other... pellet smokers are nice for "set and forget" just keep the hopper full. One thing - they don't work if the power is out so if you have frequent outages that's something to consider.

Wow lots of replies. Thank you! Sounds like Traegar is off the table and there are a few more that I need to look into. Lots of support for the pellet popper over the kamado style. Is it a true criticism that the pellet poppers don't provide a much smoke flavor as a more traditional smoker? I am looking for something that smokes well and if it is versatile enough to do double duty as a grill than great. Or is this a jack of all trades master of none type of thing with the pellet grills?

Is it a true criticism that the pellet poppers don't provide a much smoke flavor as a more traditional smoker?

You certainly CAN get more smoke flavor with a charcoal, gas, electric, or stick burner than a pellet grill if you want to. Folks that like a more upfront smoke flavor are often disappointed with pellet grills. I like a more subtle background flavor, similar to a clean burning stick burner, which is what I get on my pellet grill.

Reactions: jcam222
You certainly CAN get more smoke flavor with a charcoal, gas, electric, or stick burner than a pellet grill if you want to. Folks that like a more upfront smoke flavor are often disappointed with pellet grills. I like a more subtle background flavor, similar to a clean burning stick burner, which is what I get on my pellet grill.

Thank you! The good news is I'm not sure exactly where I fall. Subtle probably isn't a bad place to start as I like the smoke flavor and also being able to taste the seasoning. I can always add to collection at a later date if needed.

Traeger's are not all bad. If I was to go that route I would go with the newer Timberline models like what Disco just purchased. They have much heavier material. Personally when I add the pooper to the arsenal it will be Rec Tec I'm quite sure. I'm a fan of the PID controller.
Smoke tubes can be used if more smoke flavor is needed in the pellet grills.

Hmm, not one mention of a Weber Smokey Mountain ($450 for 22.5"). Interesting.

Small learning curve on the WSM. I've known three people with Kamado type grill/smokers and they never had the patience to learn their gear to smoke at low temps. It was their fault, not the smokers.

The WSM is as close to hands off as you can get (12-14 hours easy) on an unpowered smoker. It works year-round and you don't have to worry about bad settings, power outages, etc. The Kamado is comparable.

The Kamado ($700-$1600) and WSM allow cheap fuel (charcoal and wood chunks/small splits). The smoked meat is tastes fantastic, rivaling anything the professionals do, as long as you develop the patience for clean smoke to appear.

The WSM is light and portable. Legs are set up to have wheels installed, if desired. It is not insulated at all, but like the Kamado, heat rises and the cooking area is over the fire. There are pics here on SMF with the WSM surrounded by 5-6 feet of snow.

The insulated Kamado will stretch a single charcoal/wood load longer than WSM, 25-30 hours (as some have said) vs 18-22 (my experience on the WSM with the right charcoal).

All that said, if I had $2k to spend on a smoker, I'd buy an insulated cabinet smoker ($1200 and up). All the advantages of both the Kamado and WSM, plus complete wood-burning capability and significantly higher volume possible when people start asking you to supply smoked meat for parties, churches, potlucks, club meetings, etc. Trust me, they will.

Whatever you choose, there will be a learning curve. Some easy, some steep. You'll find as many ways to smoke meat as you'll find people who own smokers. Meat-Clean hot smoke-Time is the delicious meat triangle. Heat-Fuel-Air is the fire triangle. The art of smoking is learning how to make all six play together to send people into eye-closing, lip smacking ecstasy.

Every smoker has its advantages and disadvantages. Buy first what you'd buy last. You'll save money. I've RARELY seen people say they wish they would have bought a smaller smoker. Most everyone wishes they would have got more capacity.

Have fun shopping!

BTW, when I decided to move up from smoking on a Weber Kettle to a smoker, my wife said "Buy any smoker you want for Christmas. Spend up to $2k." (sound familiar?) I decided on the WSM because in my neck of the woods (California), cooking wood is expensive ($300-$400/cord). Still, if I hit the lottery, I'm buying a cabinet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky