Not Sourdough>>Poolish Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Liking this poolish bread making, way less time than SD.

Just out of the proofer for 2 hours.
Bouncy with some bubbles.
IMG_4575.JPG

Ready for the dutch.
IMG_4576.JPG

Skipping a couple pics.

Bake at 450 for 28 mins.

Lid off for 20 mins to brown up. Thinking next time a egg wash to get shiney.
IMG_4578.JPG

Couple hours cooling time.
IMG_4579.JPG

The knife my wife got me is really sharp, slight lerning curve with the bow handle as i want to angle my knife still.
IMG_4580.JPG

No cutting on this board (too nice) Its a serving board. :emoji_blush:
I split the bread up with our 4 friends, only got 4 slices for us.

IMG_4581.JPG

Great looking bread! I've been experimenting with poolish myself. Definitely easy.
Have you seen the Biga preferment? Like poolish but very thick and the final dough you use less flour.

That looks fantastic . Fits the board nice too .
slight lerning curve with the bow handle as i want to angle my knife still.
I was wondering about that . Does it bottom out before you get through the slice ? I guess you just pull to the edge of the counter top .

That looks fantastic . Fits the board nice too .

I was wondering about that . Does it bottom out before you get through the slice ? I guess you just pull to the edge of the counter top .
Sliced all the way down

Have you seen the Biga preferment? Like poolish but very thick and the final dough you use less flour.

Yes. I was a biga guy until recently. I've got a couple threads here at SMF on biga pizza dough and bread.

Got turned on to poolish when I made homemade English muffins (another thread here). Did ciabattas on Monday and Tuesday using whey leftover from making homemade ricotta (Soooo easy! Thanks, Chef John at Food Wishes on YouTube). Monday's ciabatta was an edible failure (pic available). Tuesday's was great (no pic, but I can take a pic of the massive sandwich leftovers I made from the ciabatta).

I've got a poolish aging in the fridge I started yesterday after the ciabatta turned out so good (mix in a Mason jar, let ferment start on the counter for a couple hours, then loosely cover and stick in the fridge for days or more). Aging a poolish supposedly makes an easy sourdough because there's no feeding or discards. We'll see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky