Not smoked, partially cured Canadian bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
So, after reading Bearcarver Bearcarver write up on Canadian bacon that is partially cured and not smoked.
And checking that this will work with cure #1. I knew I had to give it a go.

P1200419.jpg

I had around 7.5 pounds dry curing for the last 8 days in 3 pieces. I picked this piece, the smallest. Around 1.4 pounds. And because it had some fat that I really didn't want for CB.

P1200421.jpg

Rinsed and patted dry. Wrapped in thick cut bacon. And rubbed with fresh ground smoked pepper.

P1200423.jpg

Into the 360. On roast setting. 350 degrees. I was going to run to 130 degrees. Then put on air fry setting to crisp up the bacon. But at 130 degrees
The bacon was getting beautifully crisp. So I let it go at 350 degrees to 145 IT.

P1200425.jpg

The smell...oh lord. I just ate. But this is getting sampled!

P1200426.jpg

The picture looks misleading. But look at the knife. It is plenty moist. For all intents and purposes it is Canadian bacon wrapped in bacon that hasn't been smoked. And it is delicious!! Thanks for Bear for showing me the way.

Looks Great, Steve!!
Mighty Tasty!!
Glad it worked good for you.
Since you were taking it to at least 145° pretty quick, you could stop curing anywhere you felt like it, but 8 Days looks like it Did fine & might have actually cured completely.
I'd be sampling that every few minutes, but save some for the Super Bowl.
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear. I think it was cured through. The rest I'll smoke next week.

Looks good . I'm thinking you're cured thru . I'll have to try hot and fast , no smoke . I bet that would make good ham salad .

Looks good . I'm thinking you're cured thru . I'll have to try hot and fast , no smoke . I bet that would make good ham salad .

Hmm, didn't think about a ham salad with it. It probably would be good. It looked cured through. Though if I was smoking it. I would have went 10 days to be sure.

Hmm, didn't think about a ham salad with it. It probably would be good. It looked cured through. Though if I was smoking it. I would have went 10 days to be sure.

There ya go!!!
We have to make sure people don't get confused:
Your 8 days might have been cured long enough to Low & Slow Smoke it, but a longer cure would be better.
Not to be confused with the ones I cured for 2 days, or the "Bacon-on-a-Stick" I cure for 2 days. I always Hot Smoke them to 145° to be safe, and all I'm looking for is the "Hammy" flavor.
You did right, Steve!!

Bear

Somehow or another Steve I managed to miss this. What you've done looks amazing!! I still have a good bunch of dried beef and Canadian bacon, but I could see doing this as a "ham" to serve for dinner. Need to go check out the cure for this and see about making something happen. I really LIKE what you did here and we have a great mentor to learn from in Bear, that's for sure!!

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks Robert. And Bear is a great source of intel without a doubt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky