• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Not smoked, partially cured Canadian bacon.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
So, after reading Bearcarver Bearcarver write up on Canadian bacon that is partially cured and not smoked.
And checking that this will work with cure #1. I knew I had to give it a go.

P1200419.jpg

I had around 7.5 pounds dry curing for the last 8 days in 3 pieces. I picked this piece, the smallest. Around 1.4 pounds. And because it had some fat that I really didn't want for CB.

P1200421.jpg

Rinsed and patted dry. Wrapped in thick cut bacon. And rubbed with fresh ground smoked pepper.

P1200423.jpg

Into the 360. On roast setting. 350 degrees. I was going to run to 130 degrees. Then put on air fry setting to crisp up the bacon. But at 130 degrees
The bacon was getting beautifully crisp. So I let it go at 350 degrees to 145 IT.

P1200425.jpg

The smell...oh lord. I just ate. But this is getting sampled!

P1200426.jpg

The picture looks misleading. But look at the knife. It is plenty moist. For all intents and purposes it is Canadian bacon wrapped in bacon that hasn't been smoked. And it is delicious!! Thanks for Bear for showing me the way.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great, Steve!!
Mighty Tasty!!
Glad it worked good for you.
Since you were taking it to at least 145° pretty quick, you could stop curing anywhere you felt like it, but 8 Days looks like it Did fine & might have actually cured completely.
I'd be sampling that every few minutes, but save some for the Super Bowl.
Like.

Bear

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Thanks Bear. I think it was cured through. The rest I'll smoke next week.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Ha that Bear got you again.
Nice looking meat there Steve

Warren

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks good . I'm thinking you're cured thru . I'll have to try hot and fast , no smoke . I bet that would make good ham salad .

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Looks good . I'm thinking you're cured thru . I'll have to try hot and fast , no smoke . I bet that would make good ham salad .
Hmm, didn't think about a ham salad with it. It probably would be good. It looked cured through. Though if I was smoking it. I would have went 10 days to be sure.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Steve looks good to me.
Richie

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
looks great Steve, yeah that bear gets us into a lot of stuff.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Hmm, didn't think about a ham salad with it. It probably would be good. It looked cured through. Though if I was smoking it. I would have went 10 days to be sure.

There ya go!!!
We have to make sure people don't get confused:
Your 8 days might have been cured long enough to Low & Slow Smoke it, but a longer cure would be better.
Not to be confused with the ones I cured for 2 days, or the "Bacon-on-a-Stick" I cure for 2 days. I always Hot Smoke them to 145° to be safe, and all I'm looking for is the "Hammy" flavor.
You did right, Steve!!

Bear

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Somehow or another Steve I managed to miss this. What you've done looks amazing!! I still have a good bunch of dried beef and Canadian bacon, but I could see doing this as a "ham" to serve for dinner. Need to go check out the cure for this and see about making something happen. I really LIKE what you did here and we have a great mentor to learn from in Bear, that's for sure!!

Robert

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Thanks Robert. And Bear is a great source of intel without a doubt.

pushok2018

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Dang! By some unknown reason I missed your thread, Steve..... Your Canadian non-smoked bacon looks awesome! Nice color in and out as well. Like!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.