Not happy with my new MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

james213

Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
Blue Ridge Texas
Just bought me a new MES 40 never used a electric smoker before always been a diehard stick burner but with working six days a week now I just don't have time to watch over my big smoker. figured id get me one of these electric smokers and give it a shot put on two boston butts and was very unhappy with the results hardly any smoke flavor and no bark at all. I could have gotten the same results cooking them in my oven. Ive got to be doing something wrong im guessing I used wood chips it seemed to burn them to ashes at first but then noticed it wasn't burning them at all. I did some research and seen some people talking bout using a smoke daddy got to looking at it and figured id make one my self since ive got a welder and plasma cutter wouldn't be hard got it all put together going to give it a shot this weekend puts off a lot of smoke ill get some pics on here once I get it mounted to the unit.

Do your self a favor and install the mailbox mod. I did that and use a AMZNP smoke box now and am very pleased with my MES40. I removed chip tray and cut vent wide open to get good flow. It took me a while to learn how to light pellets but have a good handle on yhat now.

Reactions: james213
I don't think you'll find that bark you're used to, but work with it to get the smoke you want. I've fought with the pellet box, and plenty will tell you it's not easy if you have the model with the vent on the side of the smoker. Now, I bought a pellet tube, and that bugger kicks out some smoke! I need to test it more, I think it could stand to slow down the smoke a bit, in my opinion. One thing about electric, they are nice to start and walk away! Hang in there, I think you'll be happier once you find another source for the smoke.

What they said /|\. I have the MES 40 also. Still pretty new to it, but have done some good butts with it. While the bark won't be as good as a stick burner, you can get a decent one and some good smoke infusion if you experiment with the rub (if you use one) and the chips. I've read a lot about MES 40 owners having airflow problems, but haven't experienced that with mine. You do have to play around with the wood, because with the wood tray so close to the element, they can start to burn instead of smolder, and you can ruin some good meat that way. I know, happened with my first smoke in the MES. But depending on what I'm working on, I will mix dry and some soaked chips, and if I need just a little smoke, I will foil pouch my chips in the wood tray.  Just don't get discouraged too soon, and play around with different combo's till you get the feel of your individual smoker. They all seem to have their own personalities, so to speak.

Dockman & TrikeFreak above are right.

Forget making a Smoke Daddy creosote maker, and get an AMNPS & a mess of smoking pellets.

Make life easy.

Just go to the bottom of the page & click on the "A-Maze-N-Smoker" Business card.

Bear

Last edited:
i did buy the model with the air vent on the side wish i did some research on it before i bought it, far as the pellet tube i was looking at buying one tell i realized i could make my own for free i work at a exhaust shop the tube i seen is exact same tube that is in most mufflers used as a baffle i got the plasma cutter out and cut a new muffler open sure nuff theres the same tube stainless steel just had to weld on some end pieces glad i didnt spend the 45 bucks on buying one gonna give it a shot this weekend. thanks

i did buy the model with the air vent on the side wish i did some research on it before i bought it, far as the pellet tube i was looking at buying one tell i realized i could make my own for free i work at a exhaust shop the tube i seen is exact same tube that is in most mufflers used as a baffle i got the plasma cutter out and cut a new muffler open sure nuff theres the same tube stainless steel just had to weld on some end pieces glad i didnt spend the 45 bucks on buying one gonna give it a shot this weekend. thanks
Yup---You can get that from that kind of a place, but personally, IMO the Tube puts out too much smoke for an MES. I have a Tube Smoker, and I have the 5" X 8" AMNPS, and I only use the AMNPS on all of my smokes.

The AMNPS puts out just the right amount of smoke for up to 12 straight hours in my MES 40.

Bear

I added a chimney to my Gen 2!
yny5amy7.jpg

I,m not to happy with my mes 40. The thermostat varies 10 to 20 degrees off. Is there a way to recalibrate ?
Yes---Get a digital wireless set, and ignore the MES Thermostat. It only tells you what the temp is at the sensor on the back wall anyway.

You can put the wireless Smoker probe right near your meat, and the Meat probe in the center of a piece of meat.

Then you can monitor the Smoker Temp near the meat, and the Internal Temp of that piece of meat from a distance.

Most of us use a Maverick ET-732.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky