Not getting enough smokey flavor with Traeger Silverton 620 AND Smoke Daddy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tspoonO9

Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
So a little context first.... I've used a "cheapo" electric wood chip smoker for years (Masterbuilt ~$150 unit) , mainly to cook the standard 3-2-1 sparerib recipe. Using those units I've never had a problem acquiring a smokey flavor. Even if I used a crock pot to slow cook pork shoulder overnight, I can shred the meat and throw it in that smoker for an hour to acquire some kind of smokey taste. After my last electric smoker gave out (faulty control board), I decided to spoil myself by buying a fancier unit: the Traeger Silverton 620 unit from Costco. I learned shortly after that although it was very functional, it was not ideal for creating that smokey taste. Understanding that, I purchased and installed a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. unit. As advertised, it is generating a TON of smoke. However, when I went back to the 3-2-1 sparerib recipe and used the Smoke Daddy the entire time the meat was unwrapped (went through a whole bag of wood chips!), the smokey flavor was extremely limited. I tried spritzing it to keep it moist, but still didn't make much of an impact on the flavor.

I'm starting to go crazy here lol. I realize I could add a better seal to the Traeger unit to keep the smoke in better, but I'm hesitant to spend any more money on this when I can just spare the $150 and get the smoker that actually provides the smoke flavor I used to make.

Is there any advice the group has for acquiring that smokey flavor with my current set up?

I’m not too familiar with the smoke daddy. But What pellets are you using? When I had my Traeger I’d start the cook at 180* for the first hour and it generates a lot more smoke. Also would use Lumberjack pellets. They made a big difference. The Traeger pellets were junk

Think we might need a bit more information on how you setup the Traeger for the rib smoke. What temp? Did you verify the grate temp was truly at the temp the unit was set for? What/who's pellets were you using? How was the Smoke Daddy attached to the Traeger? If the altered air flow pattern was strong, the smoke may not have lingered.

Thank you both for the replies. Here's a little more context:

3-2-1 Rib Recipe:

1 rack of St. Louis spareribs
rib run (lightly applied right before putting in grill)
Hickory/Apple mixture of pellets in Traeger hopper (started with Traeger pellets, moved to Pit Boss)
Traeger set to 180 for 3 hours (Hickory/Apple wood chips in Smoke Daddy cold smoker), spritzing every 30 minutes
Wrap in foil, raise grill temperature to 225, let it sit for 2 hours
Braise in BBQ sauce, sit on grill for 1 hour (Hickory/Apple wood chips in Smoke Daddy cold smoker)

The Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. is one of their cold smokers that is installed on the outside of a unit (e.g. pellet grill, see attached). You put in charcoal, heat it up, then add your wood pellets/chips, chunks. The smoke that is created from that is then transferred into the unit. Although it is a "cold" smoker, they do advertise that it can be used for hot cooking too.

Their cold smoker also come with a small air pump that helps push the smoke into unit. I had to set to the maximum setting in hopes of getting the most smoke (as advised in their instructions), but it is possible that it's adding so much smoke that it's not really setting in place.

As for the Traeger grill temp, I haven't tested it myself, but based on the internal temperature of the meats I've been cooking, it seems to be aligned with how fast my food cooked in the past. Might be worth an actual test, though.

Attachments

• mag-grill-4.jpg
    mag-grill-4.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 49
Interesting setup. It's difficult to believe the Traeger on its own is not capable of creating good smoked meats. There are however, people that are use to products from stick burners who generally say pellet smokers don't apply enough smoke. I can't argue that but will say that one can saturate protein to a point that the real meat flavor becomes masked. It's a balancing act and a personal preference for everybody.

Personally, I haven't wrapped ribs in years. They stay in the chamber enjoying the smoke the entire time and always come out great. First thing I would do is stop spritzing every 30 minutes. Meat smokes best when consistent temp is applied. Smokers loose a tremendous amount of heat (and smoke) every time the lid is opened which forces them to recover and that takes time. Hence the saying: "if you're lookin ya ain't cookin". My pellet smoker (diff brand) creates TBS (thin blue smoke) once it settles in at desired set temp. It's rare for me to open the lid prior to checking for doneness. TBS is what most smokers want vs heavy white smoke.

BTW: Welcome to SMF from Indiana

Last edited:
I own and installed a Smokin-it Bella smoke generator... but mostly, I love using smoke tubes filled with my mix of a fruit pellet, cherry wood chips and Whiskey barrel wood chips... the smell is heaven and my meat tastes great. On big cooks I use 2 at once... I almost get HIGH just standing next to my Traeger.

Reactions: tbern
Wrapping them has always made them super fall-off-the-bone, which is definitely my preference. I appreciate the tidbit on spritzing and keeping consistent heat. I only spritzed it because I noticed the outside would dry out, but that may be due to me putting the rub on it overnight

eaglewing eaglewing that's pretty close to what a Smoke Daddy cold smoker does. Glad to hear you're having success with your meats with it though, means there's hope for me lol

Reactions: eaglewing
So a little context first.... I've used a "cheapo" electric wood chip smoker for years (Masterbuilt ~$150 unit) , mainly to cook the standard 3-2-1 sparerib recipe. Using those units I've never had a problem acquiring a smokey flavor. Even if I used a crock pot to slow cook pork shoulder overnight, I can shred the meat and throw it in that smoker for an hour to acquire some kind of smokey taste. After my last electric smoker gave out (faulty control board), I decided to spoil myself by buying a fancier unit: the Traeger Silverton 620 unit from Costco. I learned shortly after that although it was very functional, it was not ideal for creating that smokey taste. Understanding that, I purchased and installed a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. unit. As advertised, it is generating a TON of smoke. However, when I went back to the 3-2-1 sparerib recipe and used the Smoke Daddy the entire time the meat was unwrapped (went through a whole bag of wood chips!), the smokey flavor was extremely limited. I tried spritzing it to keep it moist, but still didn't make much of an impact on the flavor.

I'm starting to go crazy here lol. I realize I could add a better seal to the Traeger unit to keep the smoke in better, but I'm hesitant to spend any more money on this when I can just spare the $150 and get the smoker that actually provides the smoke flavor I used to make.

Is there any advice the group has for acquiring that smokey flavor with my current set up?

Here’s a good read for you with some helpful tips. Give page 6 of this thread a good reading…. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/page-6

I noticed the thick white smoke in the picture you posted above. TWS is never good… It can be kinda like ashtray smoke. Your SD Magnum P.I.G. can produce thin white smoke and thin blue smoke once it’s loaded and lit correctly.

Image.png

I have a few questions for you as well.
1. At what temps are you primarily setting your Traeger on during your low and slow bbq’s? The higher the set temp, the harder the auger fan will blow, which equals less smoke on the proteins being bbq’d.
2. Don’t run your Traeger over 250* degrees when using the SD Magnum P.I.G. for the best smoke results.
3. After almost 3 years of use, I’ve learned to load my SD Canister with 2 to3 good size hardwood chunks first and then fill the rest of the canister up with pre-lit charcoals… lump or briquettes and then I’ll add some wood chips or pellets on top of the lit coals just below the outlet air tube.

Image_1.png

4. FYI. I added a shutoff valve just in case I was getting to much smoke, but I hardly ever have to use it.
5. 02… Approaching it this way will give you a cleaner burn as the pre-lit coals will clean the smoke from the hardwood chunks burning at the bottom of the canister.. Kinda like the logic with the Gravity Feed Smokers and the wood chips/pellets at the top of the coals will give you a quick burst of smoke to start your bbq, but it won’t over power it.
6. Lastly, on my Pellet Pro Austin XL, when I’m doing a brisket, a beef Tri Tip Trisket or when that extra smoke flavor profile is wanted, I’ll also use a smoke basket and load it with hardwood chunks and cover it with pre-lit/ashed over charcoals on top of the chunks.
Image_2.png

Going this route, my pellet grill still has the Set it and Forget it ease, plus the 2 separate hardwood and charcoal burning sources going at the same time on top of the pellet smoke production from the burn pot makes my pellet grill a true stick burner as far as smoke production goes.
Good luck with your SD Smoke Gen. and I hope my tips help.

Last edited:
Reactions: schlotz
R RCAlan Appreciate the great insights and suggestions! I'll be sure to give those a try.

How high do you have the air pump setting? I set mine to the highest, but I'm afraid that may be continually pushing out the smoke and not letting it settle on the meat.

R RCAlan Appreciate the great insights and suggestions! I'll be sure to give those a try.

How high do you have the air pump setting? I set mine to the highest, but I'm afraid that may be continually pushing out the smoke and not letting it settle on the meat.

Give posting #42 on page 3 from the link I posted earlier a read. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/page-3
When using the stock air pump on a pellet grill your size, it’s best to set the air pump on low or up to medium, depending on the type of smoke the SD Canister is producing. FYI… From the time I first got the SD Magnum P.I.G. I had some trials and errors… My approach on how to properly load it, light it and clean it has evolved from when I first started using the SD Canister. There has to be a proper balance/ratio of hardwood to charcoal. If you’re using hardwood chunks and charcoal, there’s no need to use the baffle spring in the canister. If you want to use a mixture of hardwood chips and pellets, then use the baffle spring. Using a mixture of pellets and chips will give a longer burn/smoke time, but with a less intensive smoke flavor. Using hardwood chunks will give a stronger smoke flavor profile, with the only let down is that it’ll need to be reloaded with more hardwood chunks more often. Also, when preparing/lighting the charcoal, use a chimney starter and add a few small pieces of hardwood chunks to the charcoal and light it. When the charcoal is ashed over and ready, then add them on top of the un-lit hardwood chunks at the bottom of the canister like I had stated earlier in a previous post. Good luck.

Reactions: tspoonO9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky