Not a good day @#$%#@$%^^&^

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Got all that delicious meat seasoned up and ready to smoke and my MES decides to crap out. Got to go find the stuff and fix it so maybe i can try again tomorrow.

Man what a bummer...
icon_cry.gif

But a good excuse to get one of the New 40" ones with wheels and a remote if you can find one...
icon_mrgreen.gif

That does suck eman, I'd be peeeeed!  After you get her back up and running, build you a UDS for a backup.  

I injected my first butt last night and used the method you recommended...injecting after wrapping the meat in plastic wrap and man, it worked like a champ!!  Found a stainless steel injector by Butterball at Lowes yesterday for 10 bucks so I'm going to give some injecting a try.

Got new wire and connectors and fixing to start going back together w/ the mes .One wire burnt off the connection.

I'll be thru by the time the game starts . Now wether it'll be fixed or not is a different story. Had to send son to the store for a box of panhead screws.

Done and test heating ! Kick off in 5 min.

Holy Cow Bob, first the rub turns into a brick and now the smoker dies.....hang in there bud , It's got to get better
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

LOL remember i have the i don't care attitude. Just another thing.

I will be up early on sunday to get the smoke on.

Wow ,

If i had known how fast the MES would heat after changing to 12 guage wire i would have done the repair the day after i bought it.

Got new wire and connectors and fixing to start going back together w/ the mes .One wire burnt off the connection.
Where did you find the wire and connectors.  I've been shopping around -- just in case -- but have not found wire that is large enough gauge nor connectors that are large enough.  Two different hardware stores have the right type of connectors, but in a size that is half as big as it needs to be.  One store had heat resistant wire that was 14 guage and rated up to 90C which is less than 200F.  I think that loses on gauge and heat.

Wow ,

If i had known how fast the MES would heat after changing to 12 guage wire i would have done the repair the day after i bought it.
Sounds like a good upgrade you should pass around. I doubt upping the wire size would ever hurt but it sure will make the electrons flow alot easier..

I found the wire and stainless connectors at a local appliance parts store. had to buy 10' of wire .

connectrors were per each. .50 each for the high temp and ,35 for the insulated.

The whole retrofit took me less than 2 hours actuall work time..

I only upgraded my wires going to the heating element.

I am trying to decide on wether i want to do the 1200 watt upgrade or just buy another 40" w/ the 1200 watt element.

Last edited:
 Hope your luck runs better tomorrow , and the newer Heaters are the same way Cheep Small guage wires. Hope you have a good smoke tomorrow
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sorry to hear that Eman, but it sounds like jumped right on it & got it under control!

Me thinks as soon as I get my new MES 40, I'm gonna keep my old " #30" for backup.

Garage is a little full--I guess I'll keep it in the bedroom.

Have to be on my side---The wife won't want it on her side!
rolleyes.gif

Bear

PS: Eman watch your language on those titles! 
icon_lol.gif

eman, glad to see you fixed your problem.

If anyone is interested, I have 16' of 12 gauge hi-temp electrical wire left over from my GOSM mod, if any MES users would like it just PM me with your address, I would hope you would use what you need and pass the rest on to someone one else on the site.

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky