Not a fan of beef ribs anymore.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwalk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Little Rock, Arkansas
These past weekend my mother n law asked me to do some meat for her. Any reason for me to fire up the smoker is always good. She dropped by 2 slabs of spares and 4 slabs of beef ribs. I used the 3-2-1 method with pecan wood. Removed ribs from smoker right at  3 o clock, Started out cutting the spares and they were phenomal, i mean picture perfect. Not falling of the bone but tender as a babies but. Pulled the beef ribs and they were just not rite at all. They were tender but the meat was real fatty and overall just a big bone. The spares went first but the beefe ribs lingered around for a while. Spare ribs for me from here on out. will post pics later.

Dino bones ain't what they use to be. I remember them as big old meaty suckers, not the skinny things they are these day's.
icon_cry.gif

I agree with meateater, things just ain't what they used to be. I only smoke spares and BB's.

Only way I really like beef ribs is like this:

Get a full bone in standing rib roast and have the butcher (or do it your self) cut the bones loose from the roast.

Keep the bones together with the roast when you cook it.  I set the rib bones under the roast, season the roast,  and slow roast it.  (This however was all done in the oven before I discovered smoking).

Enjoy the Standing rib roast and pack the ribs away in freezer until you have about four or five packs of ribs.

Now for the previous ribs I've done I've just slow grilled them.  Even still.  I'd let them thaw out then over a low heat grill them for about an hour.  Then turn up the heat to give them a quick searing,  Finally add a slathering of bbq sauce on each side with a low heat again.

Pretty good this way.

Myself though as a beef eater by heart, think the beef ribs are the least useful part of the beef.

Enjoy

Ron

I agree, they are not worth the time and effort. I had some a few years ago that were awesome, but seems like every time I do them these days, they shrivel up way too much and then there is this almost gamey taste. Ewwwww......LOL!

I have had Beef Back Ribs and did experience a very poor quality, but it usually matches the price im paying for them... I am a Fan of the Beef Short Ribs (a bit more pricey)... They remind of mini Briskets... I smoke them quiet often... Trim the fat cap a little and rub em down... I am no butcher, so i may be calling them by the wrong name... i have seen the same name on a few different cuts... the ones on the Left of this pic is what i usually do and the whole family loves them... my mom & my sis-in-law actually prefer them (i wouldn't go that far though...)

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now the beef ribs that I see in wally worlds cases look pretty darn pitiful to me. I would go get someof the long bone short ribs and they make some really good dino bones now. I would also smoke them by temp not time for they will be tough if you use the 3-2-1 method. Believe me I know.

Oh I love beef short ribs! I usually slow braise them in a yummy sauce for several hours. I just got a new setup for outside - A tri-pod and a dutch oven. This is going to be the first thing in the pot. I wonder how they would do if I smoked for a little while and then braised. Yet another squirrel experiment!

I have never found them with the long bones, only the ones that look like Steve's picture above.

I tried these last weekend, too. I also used a modified 3-2-1 that worked really well for the pork ribs I was doing at the same time. The beef came out looking good, but was a little rubbery. Next time I'll follow Mark's advice and cook them by temperature, since there's enough meat to get a good reading, unlike pork ribs.

These are what I did:

9777e526_DSC_4058.jpg

And how they came out:

46d5e63a_DSC_4077.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky