Northern Stick Burner Users

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knifebld

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Valleyfield, Quebec
Hey guys,

I've been dreaming of purchasing either a Lang or Yoder stick burner. I currently own a Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and a WSM and all of these can stand the winter seasons outside (with their covers).

I don't have a garage so the new additional would have to remain outside. Can anyone tell me if they have one of these brands and leave it outside all winter? Is rust a major issue?

Any help would be welcome as your answers might determine if I will have to sell my house to get one with a heated garage! ;)

Cheers!

I have an Oklahoma Joe Highland that lives out doors all year around under cover an I live in Minnesota. Just keep it reasonably clean and covered when not in use and you will be just fine.

I have an Oklahoma Joe Highland that lives out doors all year around under cover an I live in Minnesota. Just keep it reasonably clean and covered when not in use and you will be just fine.

Great, no issues with rust? Do you regularly clear the snow off of it?

You will have rust that needs to be addressed but that will occur mostly on the fire box. No snow removal during the winter. Just keep it covered.

I'm just south of Chicago and keep my Lang outdoors under a cover. I've had it for one year and you will get a little rust on the firebox that is not from the elements but from the paint flaking off due to the high heat. Nothing a can of high heat paint can't fix!! Bought my cover from Covers and All online. Works fine.

As mentioned... make sure all ash (as well as the cook chamber) is cleaned out before storage... could wipe it down with oil before storage as well...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky