Norman Rockwell Birds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the boy was craving some roasted birds so of here we go!

Started with a couple of nice birds!
B0A18E9F-C315-45FE-B915-393909FC156A.jpeg

both of them got my partial backbone treatment to help them cook as desired...
96D36AD6-2E7B-431F-AC4D-B151AC38D176.jpeg

the removed back bone went in the pot with the neck and wing tips for gravy.

Just used a couple of commercial rubs, Kinders buttery steakhouse (good stuff!) and Weber’s beer can chicken (also good stuff)
BD88FF70-96CC-4277-9002-312D1A00C3A2.jpeg

on they go @335 in the RT 1250.... planned time about 90 min or so....
5C26B3FF-9FAF-452A-A0D6-5ACA0AB6F15C.jpeg

Started getting hungry so pushed the temp up to 350 for the last 25 min.....bingo......just love how the partial backbone methods works!
631ED1FA-7487-46F1-9619-4D314A65A6DE.png

the results.......made for a Norman Rockwell Sunday dinner!
5CE6162B-4A76-491D-B85E-9C04974C748F.jpeg

Bird money!
1A99FF11-FDD6-4A90-B08D-0C39DDB09134.jpeg

times 2!
B0CF374F-AD26-4973-BE82-797D755A27E3.jpeg

It almost seemed like a shame to cut them up........But you got to do it and well it turned out pretty good too!
92C92A23-746C-4684-8811-445139689D3E.jpeg

A side of GR Yukon mash w/white wine Bella gravy, and pan roasted roots (seasoned with Kinders buttery steakhouse.....like I said good stuff).
94469823-0A85-439B-BB47-11D490C0E28F.jpeg

At the end of the day the classic roasted chicken dinner satisfied the boys craving and well it satisfied mine to! Classic traditions live on!

Looks like an awesome meal color on those birds looks perfect

Yup . Perfect color and points for trussing the birds .
That's a great looking plate .

Civil that was great to follow the procedure and the finish line right to the great looking plate .

Fantastic, I would have no problem ripping up one of those birds . Even though it is pretty.

Should be on the now working spinner

David

Beautiful plate! Your crushed that meal all around, very Rockwell!
You should go for the Rockwell ink now!
1645454026958.jpeg

Great looking cook! Beautiful birds, and tasty looking plate of food! Arrange them shrooms a bit and they would be smiling!

Ryan

Looks like a fantastic meal. I can taste that crispy skin from here. Beautiful work!
Thanks Sven! Oh yes crispy skin is the reason you roast a bird....the rest is just filling....LOL

Looks like an awesome meal color on those birds looks perfect
Thanks piney! No more parts or spatchcock birds for me.

Beautiful plate. Nice work.
Thanks swamp

Great looking birds, and plate.
Thanks one eyed!

Wow! Looks very juicy. Nice job.
Much appreciation Brian! its hard to beat a full bird for the juice factor! The crispy skin keeps in all inside!

Yup . Perfect color and points for trussing the birds .
That's a great looking plate .
Thanks chop!

I added the trussing part for presentation (don't like spread eagle of an un-trussed) and it also helps balance the leg/breast desired differential as well! It brings the thigh temp down about 4 degrees so the 160/180 hits at the same time. In my tests with un-trusts were 160/184....starting to over cook the thighs at that point with the rest.....Oh and if you notice it is a loose truss so it doesn't tighten up the bird....

Reactions: one eyed jack
Civil that was great to follow the procedure and the finish line right to the great looking plate .

Fantastic, I would have no problem ripping up one of those birds . Even though it is pretty.

Should be on the now working spinner

David
Thanks DRK, I have been doing/experimenting this procedure for about 2 years now and it is now my go to for birds, even the large ones....IE it works perfectly on 20lbers

YEAP! Looks good!!

Awesome meal!!
Many thanks yankee!
Great looking birds and plate!
Jim
Much appreciated Jim! Something about a whole roasted bird to make one smile!

All looks Outstanding, Civil !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Many thanks Bear! It is a simple cook....really the gravy is the most technical and time consuming part!

Beautiful plate! Your crushed that meal all around, very Rockwell!
You should go for the Rockwell ink now!
View attachment 526484
I can see in now, a full roasted bird on the left shoulder.....LOL Thanks JW!

Great looking cook! Beautiful birds, and tasty looking plate of food! Arrange them shrooms a bit and they would be smiling!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, those shrooms cause some smiles for sure....they also add a huge flavor element to the gravy!

Reactions: bauchjw
"Something about a whole roasted bird to make one smile! "
civilsmoker civilsmoker So very true......But my carving skills are not up to par. Looks like I did it with a chainsaw! :emoji_laughing:
Jim

if you notice it is a loose truss so it doesn't tighten up the bird....
I did actually notice that . I like to tie mine tighter , but if that works I'm all for it . I also use the stub from the neck as a starting anchor point . I know you like to cut it out .
Trussing the bird definitely evens cook times .
This is one length is twine . Starts as a loop over the neck and ends up wrapped around the wings .
1645463470720.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky