Norman Rockwell Birds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like a excellant meal, ya done that bird proud
Thank you jim! some times classic is......well just classic!

"Something about a whole roasted bird to make one smile! "
civilsmoker civilsmoker So very true......But my carving skills are not up to par. Looks like I did it with a chainsaw! :emoji_laughing:
Jim
LOL!....I just all that an electric knife!

Awesome job as usual with your cooks.

Warren
Thanks Warren! ie just another day at the office....LOL

I did actually notice that . I like to tie mine tighter , but if that works I'm all for it . I also use the stub from the neck as a starting anchor point . I know you like to cut it out .
Trussing the bird definitely evens cook times .
This is one length is twine . Starts as a loop over the neck and ends up wrapped around the wings .
View attachment 526496
For many years I went away from the fully trussed bird and I would always roast the bird in parts because I wanted a differential IT temp across pieces....but I found that it was really easy to dry the breast meat out.....then tried spatchcock....just not a fan, then tried 1/2's worked better but the differential wasn't enough for me...so now the PBB method and I'm just happy!

Thing of beauty.
Thanks winter!

HOLY CRAP!! Those look superb. you nailed it with the Normal Rockwell theme. That is spot on as are the birds and your entire meal. Extremely well done!!

Robert

HOLY CRAP!! Those look superb. you nailed it with the Normal Rockwell theme. That is spot on as are the birds and your entire meal. Extremely well done!!

Robert
Thanks Robert! Was feeling a little nostalgic....I mean roasted bird, mash, carrots, and gravy.....simplicity is often the most elegant these days!

That and I think the whole world would be better off if everyone would take the time to make a meal together with, family, friends, neighbor, love ones, etc. and just talked about good times at the dinner table......and if you didn't want to talk just sit at the coffee table in front of the TV and watch a re-run together.....

Just so happens that I’m batching it tonight so made up the “CS diner special”

sliced up some thigh and breast meat and gather some veg to go with it.....
B39D1F24-7425-4CA7-8872-DD1B4FCC301E.jpeg

started by toasting up some wheat sour....this is really good stuff...
80BF61C9-CEC8-4FE1-A852-2E94B674162B.jpeg

then tossed the slices into the pan with a splash of broth....steaming hot toss, then in the excess gravy and once it rolls put in 2 spoons of creme fraiche and a splash of heavy cream for a sweet over tone....
809DA0AD-8147-47B2-86D3-3CE88061AB3E.jpeg

now the veg.....splash of classic olive and pinch of butter in at 18k screaming hot pan to sear the roots then frozen corn and once corn is taking color I added some kindred buttery steak toss, then add frozen peas....this happens fast but gives it a nice sear....
4B78B314-40BF-4CF1-B15D-96664DD1D209.jpeg

and finally the CS diner special!!!!!
110A67FF-CE9D-4B8E-A910-3EC3E9B62E42.jpeg

all I can say is YUM!!!
DDBAF99B-6AFF-4DF3-85AE-B9A93207E1C3.jpeg

All of this looks great but I think my next chicken will be a standing beer can style. I think I'll buy a skeleton wire style beer can holder and not add a beer can to the mix. That way I'll get a natural heat flow thru the body.

All of this looks great but I think my next chicken will be a standing beer can style. I think I'll buy a skeleton wire style beer can holder and not add a beer can to the mix. That way I'll get a natural heat flow thru the body.
Thanks!

A skeleton will do the trick as well. The partial backbone removal naturally allows for airflow through the bird. I also place the bird closer to the back of the smoker to promote air through the cavity more. It works very well to get the desired differential IT between thigh and breast......It also works on big birds even better, here last years Turkey...... IT breast 160 with the thigh 177....It also cuts the over all time to cook way down as well for the big ones!
ClassicTurkey.jpeg

Awesome looking birds!
Your photo’s could be on the cover of a food magazine!
Al
Thanks Al! You know the saying if it looks good it tastes even better!

I have had a life long quest to be able to do NR consistently and believe I’m almost near that point!

Ok.....so one more leftover to share from the NR Bird dinners!

My wife wanted me to make her some chicken bone broth, so I took all the bones from the 2 birds (saved them all from dinner) and then I put them under the convection broiler for 15 mins to get them all toasty and such, then they went into a pan and got covered with bottled water then a light boil for 12 hours then strained with a super fine screen.

I thought she wanted to sip on it and such as it is crazy good like that but after a full day of doing stakeholder interviews for a project I come home to find this prepared!
NR-Pork.jpg

So the 3 Tbs of "Pork Au Jus" shown on the plate was what she used the bone broth for.....

So she marinated a couple of pork tenderloin in a Gordon Ramsey brine recipe out of his Hells Kitchen book, it had juniper berries and all kinds of stuff like that.

Next, she also made up some apple butter which is basically caramelized apples with spices....she used some bourbon maple syrup in them while caramelizing them and then pureed them once nice a soft.....

The Au Jus is super easy and was based on GR's with some mods, a couple Tbs of butter in with some tenderloin pieces to get a nice sear and to start to brown the butter, then a whole diced mid size sweet onion. Sautee till golden, then in goes a 1/2 of white wine to deglaze and to burn out the alcohol quick, then 3 cups of roasted chicken bone broth.....This is goes with a mid boil till it has reduced about to only a 1/3-1/2 cup then the pork pieces are taken out and it is seasoned with Salt/Pepper and a splash of sugar (HOLY SMOKES this is pure $$$$$$).

Once plated and ready to eat the Au Jus is just poured over the IT 150 pork tenderloin and apple butter....it is magical with the pan roasted roots and garlic mash GR Yukon gold mash!
NR-Pork2.jpg

We WILL be doing this again, but next time the TL will be smoked at 275 till IT 145...

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky