Normal for a Blackstone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was having issues with my ignitor, so I decided to take the top off to see what the issue was. I have had the griddle for about 2.5 years now and the bottom of the griddle definitely is rusted. I would expect that, since it's just carbon steel. The powder coated portions of the frame are a little rusty in spots, but it is outdoors all of the time. Below is a photo showing the rust residue on the cabinet coming off the bottom of the griddle.
Blackstone.jpg

I was having issues with my ignitor, so I decided to take the top off to see what the issue was. I have had the griddle for about 2.5 years now and the bottom of the griddle definitely is rusted. I would expect that, since it's just carbon steel. The powder coated portions of the frame are a little rusty in spots, but it is outdoors all of the time. Below is a photo showing the rust residue on the cabinet coming off the bottom of the griddle.
View attachment 643968

Wow, I didn’t even consider looking at the “inside” where the burners are. I’m sure mine looks the same. I’m assuming the bottom of your actual griddle cooktop looks the same. Since the steel is so thick, I guess it’s more of an annoyance than an actual problem?

Just went out and took a picture of mine . I have the older 28 " with the front grease drain .
Bought it in January of 2018 . Stored with the Blackstone covered outside .
1663603728544.jpeg
1663603789989.jpeg

Wow, I didn’t even consider looking at the “inside” where the burners are. I’m sure mine looks the same. I’m assuming the bottom of your actual griddle cooktop looks the same. Since the steel is so thick, I guess it’s more of an annoyance than an actual problem?
Yeah, don't have any problems with the rust at all. I'm sure it will keep going for quite some time...

Yup…..looks like mine. Guess it’s “par for the course”.
I don't think it's an issue . Just for the sake of the conversation I went out yesterday and flipped the top over . Wiped the loose rust off with a towel , then sprayed with a this coat of cooking spray . It sat about 4 hours , then I heated it up and let it burn off whatever didn't soak in .
1663691859018.jpeg

I cooked some burgers on it last night . Got it pretty hot . Went out this morning and flipped the top up . I wiped it with a paper towel , and didn't really get much color . It's not rusty red anymore either . I did this when I first got mine and just did it again over 4 years later .
1663691880838.jpeg
I don't think it needs to be done , but probably doesn't hurt either .

Reactions: MJB05615
... powder coated portions of the frame are a little rusty in spots...
That's pretty minimal. If it's a concern, a little lite sanding in that area and a little Krylon touch-up should stop the rust. It shouldn't get very hot in those areas. Interesting how it's exactly the same spot (front-to-rear) on the left and right sides.

...sprayed with a this coat of cooking spray ...It's not rusty red anymore...
For lite surface rust like this, this a great approach...I 'm pretty sure I've extended the life of cheap fireboxes this way. And these BS griddles are like 7-gauge (3/16") steel --at this rate of rusting they'll last a century. A quick inspection every 10 cooks or so is an easy way to stay on top of it. It's when the rust starts digging down into the surface and working outward so that rust is coming off in flakes instead of powder that you have to worry.

Here's the cheap Expert Grill. This is not just seasoned steel. Pretty sure it's plasma (arc-)sprayed CrO2, continuous top and bottom. (Off-white ceramic cookware is probably Al2O3; white cookware is TiO2. If you see a tinge of green, it's probably Cr2O3 you're seeing.)

Now if it starts to chip off, the end could come quick. But when done well, this is pretty hard, high-tech stuff. For now, I'm pretty amazed you can get this for under $200. But I suppose it could be trash in 5 years...we'll see. But incredibly easy to maintain in the meantime.

Attachments

• 28inchExperGrillGriddle.jpeg
    28inchExperGrillGriddle.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 13
Well, thanks for posting. I took a look at my 36 incher just to see how it looked compared to yours after using for 6mo. By my estimation, I will be somewhere between 150 to 190 Years Old by the time it becomes a problem to burn through. Guess I should try to reoil it every once in a while in case my great, great, great, grandsons kids gives it a try. Yep, it is so thick, I fully expect to replace the burners and igniter system many times before being concerned about rust on the bottom side of griddle eating through.

Ever take a look at the exhaust headers on older real cars and trucks like my 56 Chev that I used a grinder on to open the ports up a little when I replaced the 265 with a 327 and had an aluminum intake painted orange to make it look close to original except for the 4 speed? Ha Ha. Yes, exhaust manifold metals were made to get hot and form a close to pink "rust looking" insulation layer, even at close to red hot temperatures. I suspect this Blackstone is similar, and also suspect we will have some kind of replacement cooking device by the time this grill metal fails, if we are still around. But again, thanks for giving us information of what you saw and were concerned with for us to take a look at also.

I might try to pick up a set of burners, one extra control knob/valve and igniter for future spares, just in case they fail first and parts might get hard to find. Like my 1970's two burner propane grill valve I have had to "redo" a couple times because there are no longer replacements. I don't think anything else could fail.

Ha, I bought a thermostat and extra heater (only disposable parts in it) for my "Smoke-it" #2 I liked well after using it a couple years about 5 years ago, "Just in case" Still in the box, have not used either of them yet, but am ready if either fail.

So far, it seems Blackstone has a peretty good history of longer term quality products. Hope we all feel the same 5 or more years from now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky