1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Noob with new smoker

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by jp4lsu, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jp4lsu

jp4lsu Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm a noob here that got a smoker for Christmas. I love to grill and always through in wood chips on the grill for that extra flavor. Well now I can smoke.

My wife bought a LP smoker and since my grill is running off the NG of the house I will convert it.....if I keep it.

My question is, which will be the better way to go. Gas or a charcoal smoker. Is it difficult and high maintainence to keep the charcoal at a constant temp?

Also I'm limited on patio space and it has to be a column style smoker, is it still better to have charcoal in that configuration. I would love to have a wood burning smoker but I just don't have the room for it in my backyard and patio.

One last question, if you the charcoal is the better way to go, can you recommend a good charcoal column style smoker?

Thanks for the advice.
    JP

2. Sounds like a personal call JP, Charcoal is nice, and once you get it down to technique its not hard, you just need to be more attentive, but I use a gasser, its clean, no fuss and it gives me great Q, so it just matters how much you want to mess with, I guess! :roll:

My 2¢

3. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo jp4lsu---
    im a electric smokin man myself.......
    if i had to chose---
    it would be gas over charcoal!!!

4. jp4lsu

jp4lsu Newbie

Well it's a done deal. I just got back from Lowes with all the fittings and NG hose I need. Can't turn back now after spending $60 on quick release hoses, tee's, and whatever else ended up in my basket.

Now I have to figure out what size to drill out the orifice on the control body. Any ideas?

I have 2 boneless turkey breast marinating right now. I'll let you know how they turn out if they do turn out. I'll be using pecan chips. Yummy.

BTW thanks for the info. I think gas will be fine for me now since I'm just beginning my smoking career.

Later when I have more room I might try a wood burning smoker.