Noob with new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp4lsu

Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Ft Worth
Hi all,
I'm a noob here that got a smoker for Christmas. I love to grill and always through in wood chips on the grill for that extra flavor. Well now I can smoke.

My wife bought a LP smoker and since my grill is running off the NG of the house I will convert it.....if I keep it.

My question is, which will be the better way to go. Gas or a charcoal smoker. Is it difficult and high maintainence to keep the charcoal at a constant temp?

Also I'm limited on patio space and it has to be a column style smoker, is it still better to have charcoal in that configuration. I would love to have a wood burning smoker but I just don't have the room for it in my backyard and patio.

One last question, if you the charcoal is the better way to go, can you recommend a good charcoal column style smoker?

Thanks for the advice.
JP

Sounds like a personal call JP, Charcoal is nice, and once you get it down to technique its not hard, you just need to be more attentive, but I use a gasser, its clean, no fuss and it gives me great Q, so it just matters how much you want to mess with, I guess! :roll:

My 2¢

Well it's a done deal. I just got back from Lowes with all the fittings and NG hose I need. Can't turn back now after spending $60 on quick release hoses, tee's, and whatever else ended up in my basket.

Now I have to figure out what size to drill out the orifice on the control body. Any ideas?

I have 2 boneless turkey breast marinating right now. I'll let you know how they turn out if they do turn out. I'll be using pecan chips. Yummy.

BTW thanks for the info. I think gas will be fine for me now since I'm just beginning my smoking career.

Later when I have more room I might try a wood burning smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky