Noob in OH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hhr2006

Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Hey all I'm new at smoking meat my self although I watched it all my life growing up in TN. I now live in Ohio near Cincinnati and since I have been out of work for over a year due to the dismal economy I decided to take up smoking meat as a new hobby. I purchased a Brinkmann Electric Gourmet smoker 3 weeks ago and so far I have had 3 successful smokes on it ribs and a butt. I am now dying to get my hands on a nicer smoker. I don't know if I want to get a gas or charcoal unit to try next. I just know i would like something where I can control the temp better than the ECB I have now that is a little better built. It may be a while though since like I said I am out of work and have a 2yr old daughter with dwarfism which with medical bills and all its hard to make ends meet. Just found out she needs tubes in her ears again so there is another surgery to pay for I also have a 5yo who will be starting school this fall so there is another money pit...lol. The only way I got the ECB was last year I went to Bass Pro and they gave me and the wife $30 in gift cards for looking at a Toyota pickup then I made them match the Home Depot price so i got the smoker for $44 tax and all. Thought it was a good deal but now I wish I would have saved for something better.
Well thats a little about me I have been learning a lot from reading everything here so I want to thank you all for the knowledge.

Brian

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the great introduction, and welcome to the SMF. I'll be looking forward to your next smoke.

Hey HHR,
Our thoughts go out to you and your family. Things will get better. Keep your chin up and do your best to maintain a positive attitude for your family and your own health.

I've always done all my smoking on a Weber Kettle. But that's work to keep things right. Lately, I've been borrowing my dad's Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) and LOVE IT! I can't afford a new one either. So borrowing is a great way to do things cheap. Got any friends or relatives you could hit up to use their smoker? It's free and you can try out different equipment to see what you like.

Also, watch the classified section on this forum. People often find things all over the country and put it up here. Keep an eye on craigslist.org, your local newspaper's classified ads and garage sales. All good resources to finding cheap smokers.

Good luck. GO REDS!

Welcome to SMF. There is a lot of knowledge and information on this site. Hope everything gets better for your family and my prayers are with you.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! The prayers seemed to work too! I got called today for an interview for what sounds like a very good job!!

Welcome to the forum. And good luck with the job interview. Relief is just around the corner. Stay positive!!!

Reek

Welcome to SMF. Glad you are hear with us.

Sorry to hear about the loss of job. It will get better Im sure. Again glad to have you here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky