Non-Permanent Deck Ideas to smoke on?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bookoobbq

Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Varina, VA
I rent my property and though I've been here a while I don't want to build a permanent deck. I also don't want it to look like crappy pallets laid on the ground either but I'm tired of smoking on the grass. As far as my research goes, the only idea I can come up with is building a real deck on those deck base blocks and keeping it small enough to fit on my trailer in sections if I ever move. Has anyone done this and have pics of their setup or better yet, any better ideas? What have you used? I need ideas.

You might want to look at concrete stepping blocks. They are 12" square and 1-1/2" to 2" thick. You can build a patio out of these and take them up when you want to.

Depending on where you are located and how many cops you're likely to run into, build a small deck,

When you decide to move on get three friends pick it up and move it.

Keep it eight feet wide or less and it's all legal, but I've built them a lot bigger and moved them.

However I live out in the sticks and we get away with things that other folks can't.

Twelve feet wide is not uncommon for us.

Ed

I built one for a friend years ago. built in 4) 4x6 panels 

Here's a picture link of how it was done.

http://www.doorsixteen.com/2009/04/26/instant-deck/

-brian
Brian, this is exactly what I'm considering. Roughly what was your material cost on this?

Depending on where you are located and how many cops you're likely to run into, build a small deck,

When you decide to move on get three friends pick it up and move it.

Keep it eight feet wide or less and it's all legal, but I've built them a lot bigger and moved them.

However I live out in the sticks and we get away with things that other folks can't.

Twelve feet wide is not uncommon for us.

Ed
Ed, I'm on 4 acres so I can get away with a lot.

I built one for a friend years ago. built in 4) 4x6 panels 

Here's a picture link of how it was done.

http://www.doorsixteen.com/2009/04/26/instant-deck/

-brian
Have built many decks like this. Your costs will depend on the lumber costs in your area and how big you build it. One change that I would make is to not put the joists in the slots on the concrete blocks. Going with the deck as shown you would have to level the ground in order to do that. Something your land lord may not like. Instead use chunks of 4x4. This will allow you to level the deck, without disturbing the ground. Set your outer rims first and level, then add the floor joists. Space your deck blocks at 4' centers.

In our neck of the woods you can build any size deck without needing permits as long as its 18" high or less. Decks like this that aren't permanently attached to a building are also exempt.  Check with your local jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: bookoobbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky