No ribs in my birds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joe black

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I have been spatchcocking my chickens and turkeys for a couple of years and I don't intend to ever do them any other way. Recently, I saw a post about removing the ribs after they were butterflied and I tried it on 3 chickens last week to bring on vacation for chicken salad. It was as easy as pie and made for great pulling and I would also say that it would really assist in slicing as well.

I would recommend trying this for anyone. Just a boning knife and slide it easily under the ribs and they come right out.

Good luck with it, Joe

I'll have to try that on my next Spatchcocked birds. I have a pair of 9 LB turkeys in the freezer, and that would probably work great. Thanks for the suggestion !

Three additional minutes added to the spatchcock process makes such a huge difference in the carving! Two cuts and you have the finished bird quartered. Then just slice the breasts and separate the leg from the thigh. Makes for a MUCH simpler and nicer presentation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky