No foil butt, first time, update it's done!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am with you on not foiling butts, I love the bark and yes I always plan on smoking today and eating it tomorrow.  Yours look perfect

Last edited:
Now to see how it pulls. Is there any way to not burn the s#!* out of your hands pulling pork?

These are the best gloves I've ever found for BBQing or handing hot food period.

4f017052_BarbecueInsulatedFoodGloves.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I'll check them out.
For some reason they don't have the best reviews.  People complain that they are slippery (I've never experienced that even handling a butt right out of the smoker) and that they stain.  Yes they stain but they are for food prep not for going out on the town.  To clean I just put them on, put dish soap on them, and "wash my hands".  Then I hold them with the fingers up and rinse (this is so water doesn't get inside).  If you get water inside it will take days to dry unless you put them in the dryer (I haven't tried putting them in the drier yet).

Last edited:
These are the best gloves I've ever found for BBQing or handing hot food period.

4f017052_BarbecueInsulatedFoodGloves.jpg
I have the same ones as they came with my Ronco. I love them for handling hot food. They are slippery when wet but that doesn't bother meat all. They sure save the hands when pulling a butt or just handling hot food in general in and out of the smoker. Great looking pulled pork. Maybe I should try not foiling a butt in the future but I'm not a really big bark fan at all.

Nice job Al!!!! I always do my Butts w/out foil... Your's looks great! I am hopefully firing up my WSM for the first time this weekend & i cant wait... this post is inspiring! Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks-Great.gif

Looks Great! I am gonna do the no foil on my next butt! I have a WSM as well. The last time I smoked a butt(foiled), My WSM held at 225 for the entire smoke without adding any more charcoal. I used a bag of Publix Green Wise Lump Charcoal. It would have kept holding 225 for several more hours too. I love it!

Now that's a fine looking piece of meat.  A real inspiration to go foiless.  Since you did this on a WSM, it's a suitable time for a question that I know those who recently purchased a WSM and those who hope to buy one this year (
biggrin.gif
), you mentioned a full ring of fuel and a small pyramid in the middle.  To get the fuel to last as long as you've done in this smoke, what is the trick,  fire off a handful, sufficient to get the WSM to smoking temp, then let it burn its way through the pile? 

Now that's a fine looking piece of meat.  A real inspiration to go foiless.  Since you did this on a WSM, it's a suitable time for a question that I know those who recently purchased a WSM and those who hope to buy one this year (
biggrin.gif
), you mentioned a full ring of fuel and a small pyramid in the middle.  To get the fuel to last as long as you've done in this smoke, what is the trick,  fire off a handful, sufficient to get the WSM to smoking temp, then let it burn its way through the pile? 

I filled the ring to the top, with charcoal & wood chunks mixed in. That way it would keep smoking as it burned thru the charcoal, then added more in the center to make a pyramid shape, all of it unlit. I only lit 10 briquettes & placed them right on the top of the pyramid. It only took about 40 minutes to get to 225 with cold water in the pan & a cold piece of meat on the grate. Then as you know it went for 19 1/2 hours.

Magnificent!!!!

I was debating about what kind of smoker to get for the new place.

Not anymore.

Thanks for the great post!!

Craig

Al, looks great!  i preferred the non-foiled, i feel like its more authentic.  Question is would you do it again knowing it takes longer :)

Also for the pulling and burning hands....i bought a pair of gloves from TexasBBQ Rub (www.texasbbqrub.com).  they sell a pair of gloves that is abrasion and heat resistance.  its hard to finely pull pork but you can atleast break it up into smaller chunks and then finish with forks. 

nice qview!

Al, I am glad that you are a convert. I think a lot of smokers are missing the art of smokin'. It just takes sometimes many hours to wait for the meat to get done. Overnight smokes are essential I believe for butts and maybe briskets. The last butts I did were 9.5lbs and they were at 200* in 17 hours on a WSM, my normal smoking time for butts are 16 hours plus resting in an aluminum pan covered in foil and put in an unheated oven to rest.

RP

Al great job, impressive pork.

I don't foil butts either (love that bark) only foil during rest.

Temp of 225 is perfect, The buts I have done at 225 had a better breakdown of the connective tissue as opposed to 250 - 260.

The stall is your friend... glad you didn't rush it.

Quite impressive charcoal burn time as well.

Al, great post and way to hang in there for the long haul! The heavy gloves that have been posted are great for removing meat from the smoker etc but as pointed out, they are a little thick for doing detailed work. When I pull And slice etc, I use a doubled up pair of disposable gloves, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky