No fire box on my stick burner

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by jhudson3030, May 13, 2014.

1. jhudson3030

jhudson3030 Newbie

I just bought a used homemade wood burning smoker in rough shape. I patched some rust spots and now I'm ready to use it. I do not have a external fire box but I have a lift gate/access door where I can build a fire on one side in the bottom. Everything I've seen has external fire boxes and I was just curious about mine operating ok without. I have built a fire in it and have played around with controlling my temp and that I had no problem with. I just didn't know what the cons would be of having the fire inside instead of externally

2. jhudson3030

jhudson3030 Newbie

3. jhudson3030

jhudson3030 Newbie

Here is a picture of the smoker and on the bottom closest end you can see where the fire is built

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you can control the heat and smoke, what else do you need... a cold one maybe.....

5. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

With no separate firebox I consider it indirect grilling with some nice added smoke flavor. I have been using a cheapo wally world smoker that I burned the firebox off of and cooking everything in the indirect method adding some wood for flavor.

6. buttburner

buttburner Meat Mopper

I would at least add a deflector plate to channel the grease away from the fire so you dont have a grease fire on your hands

7. jhudson3030

jhudson3030 Newbie

That sounds like a great idea