No fire box on my stick burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jhudson3030

Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I just bought a used homemade wood burning smoker in rough shape. I patched some rust spots and now I'm ready to use it. I do not have a external fire box but I have a lift gate/access door where I can build a fire on one side in the bottom. Everything I've seen has external fire boxes and I was just curious about mine operating ok without. I have built a fire in it and have played around with controlling my temp and that I had no problem with. I just didn't know what the cons would be of having the fire inside instead of externally

Here is a picture of the smoker and on the bottom closest end you can see where the fire is built

With no separate firebox I consider it indirect grilling with some nice added smoke flavor. I have been using a cheapo wally world smoker that I burned the firebox off of and cooking everything in the indirect method adding some wood for flavor.

I would at least add a deflector plate to channel the grease away from the fire so you dont have a grease fire on your hands

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky