No Comment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Re: Greg doing dishes: "Told'ja so"
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Re: pokin' holes: Ya, you're right Greg, up to a point. Most people I think don't even have an instant read thermom. like I/we have ($15. at Fred Meyer) and you're expecting them to have more. Not everybody can.

But great inspiration for us to move towards smoking masterdom; keep it up.

This new smoker was made from a Frigidaire 27 cubic foot upright freezer.

AlaskaSS mentioned my first conversion project where I turned a very old medium-size refrigerator into my first good smoker. It had a thermostat from a water heater, a hot plate for the heat source and hooks on the insides to stretch strings of hanging meat to make jerky.

One thing I learned from that smoker is that hanging strips of meat vertically makes better tasting jerky than laying the meat flat on screens or grids.

To make less work, I would cut whole rounds into steaks 1-1/2" thick. Then I would rotate the edge of the steak into the electric slicer, to make one long strip, spiraling the steak smaller and smaller, as the strip emerged from the slicer. I would end up with a piece of meat 1-1/2 inches wide, 3/8th thick and three to four feet long.

These were hung from the top of the smoker and turned into jerky. Afterwards, I'd use scissors to cut the long jerky strips into the right lenght for bagging it.

Cheers!
Greg

Would this be a single or dual element "stat" ? Probably wouldn't make much dirrerence ... interesting concept. Never thought of that ... now my mind is thinking on this line for my fridge smoker. Know I have 2 stats here somewhere ... now just to find them. Thanks for the idea.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

... that's a gentle nudge towards hinting about a need for more pictures!

I'm just sayin'... Hey Greg, digital pictures are free to do and post. (hint...)

After you've made a free photobucket account, make sure to put pictures there and link them to here, of the actual beef jerky that you will send into space with the astronauts in a few weeks; what's the date in November? Do you have a link to provide, in case anyone here thinks a newbie (hehehe) might be telling tall smoking tales there in ID?

Steve - - NASA has had my beef jerky for several weeks. I'm sure they've just about got that rocket packed and ready to go. Its been on pad 39A since Oct 14th.

There is a great photo of my jerky floating in front of the big window on International Space Station, with the Earth visible against the black of Space. The small photo is here: http://www.beefjerky.com/jerky/beef_jerky.html There is a link to the hi-resolution photo also on that page.

Cheers!
Greg

Why have I never seen that picture?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a velcro circle affixed to it, that would assist a person in anchoring the package in a weightless environment?

OK, T minus.... what?

Steve - - Good eye, matey! Yup, that is a velcro dot to anchor the package in zero-gee. The NASA food lab attaches those things to the bags.

I never try to predict the actual launch date. The shuttle is prone to launch delays, because after smoking two batches of astronauts, its "Safety First!" for the remaining few shuttle flights.

Its currently slated to fire up on 16 November.

Cheers!
Greg

Welcome Greg! Very impressive stuff. You've obviously got alot to contribute to this site. That freezer mod rig is a thing of beauty.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hi Steve - I was looking through the box of old photos and found one of my old fridge smoker. There was a water heater thermostat that controlled the small room heater and fan. On the right at the bottom is a popcorn popper used as a smoke generator.

I hung the meat on rods. I could do a lot of jerky at one time with this old rig.

FridgeSmoker.jpg

you're not a "newbie" here anymore!

I told you a long time ago: stick with me, and you'll teach me a lot.... and who can argue with what has happened since?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky