Next Up: Flank Steak in the Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllAces

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
For years I've been cooking flank steak for the family the following way:
Marinate the flank steak over night in Delmonte Cocktail Sauce. Next day, fire the Weber, remove and reserve the cocktail sauce; cook on the grill to about medium; baste with the remaining sauce the last 15 minutes or so; slice and serve hot.

My plans are to do the same marinate, but to cook in the smoker following Bear's directions for brisket as to internal temp, foiling and finishing.

Thoughts or suggestions from fellow smokers.

When I was growing up my mom would cook flank steak, but she stopped when the price went WAY up. She would marinate in in soy/worcestershire, score it, and sear it in cast iron. Sometimes she would slice it thin for a stir-fry.

I haven't been buying it, but recently I found a decent Mexican grocery with a good price on it so I'll probably try some. It should be good from the smoker.

Flank is one cut that I've always marinated in teriyaki and cooked on extremely high heat. Never thought about smoking it. Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Same here,
I did 10lbs of flank yesterday.
Marinate in soy sauce, honey and rosemary,
for two days. Then onto a hot grill to sear both sides. Took about 15 minutes +/- to get rare to medium rare.
I am wondering for a smoke if it would be best to do a reverse sear?

r2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky