Newbie's First smoker build /rescue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tnchevypits

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
So i got a smoker that i did some trading on and wanted to revive it and make it a lot better than it is now. It is an oil tank that someone really didn't know what they where doing as the weld jobs look like my wife did it blind folded. So i have a soft spot for builds like this and i wanted to rescue/ build it up to make it a great smoker. The tank is 4ft by 5ft with aan old propane tank as the firebox. I know it wont last real long but i wanted to get it going then upgrade that box later as i get the money and extra time/ equipment to weld up a good fire box. So here are the pics of it and ill explain what i would like to do it and ill be adding more pics later this evening to show you some of the items that was just plain dumb to do.

received_10216874379591671.jpeg
received_10216874376991606.jpeg
received_10216874378031632.jpeg
received_10216874378711649.jpeg
received_10216874379111659.jpeg
received_10216874379591671.jpeg

So now you see what i am up against. I have pretty good welding skills and it needs some loving i know. But i see what it can be when its done. So i wanted to give you an idea of what i would like to do with it and see what you all think. BTW the propane did not come with smoker. But I am always open for ideas for this except scrap it as of now lol But here I go....

1. I want to weld the sides back up and make the door open on the front and make it 3ft 10" and remove those ugly counter weights that don't even work and put a nice setup on door to help hold it open.

2. Make the rack on the inside a sliding rack as it will be very deep as this will be used for hog smoking and or a lot of meat at the same time.

3. I would like to move the stack and add a RF plate 1/4" thick across the bottom to achieve an easy steady cooking area.

4. Add an extra thermometer.

5. fix and paint trailer to be able to pull it.

6. Add the 1/8" sealer edges around all edges.

After all said and done it will be painted.

So just let know what you all think and if it is worth while to do this or ideas on how to achieve my goal.

Attachments

• received_10216874377751625.jpeg
    received_10216874377751625.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 20
Sounds like you've thought through your plan pretty well. I would think it worth while to undertake for a couple reasons: you could end up with a nice, large capacity smoker and the experience you gain restoring this could prove invaluable. Looks like a lot of work, but for many it is relaxing and keeps them going.

Good luck. Would like to see some pictures of the process along the way.

will do im getting my tools together this weekend to start welding and cutting and i will update pics as i go.

So an update on the build/rescue. I am finally getting all my metal cutting tools together and ready to start cutting some hopefully this weekend if the weather is nice here. As soon as i make the first cut and start welding i will update pictures as i go from then on. anyone that reads this if any suggestions just chime in and let me know what you got.

So an update on the build. I have to stop before I truthfully started. My welder has crapped out on me and well now the biggest reason is that I'm having a kid and my family always comes first so the smoker is up for sale and is still sitting the same way as the pics are and I'll take 300cash as I gotta buy some furniture for the baby's room. I appreciate evryoeve that reading and or following this thread as I will attempt another in time but gotta take care of the famufa first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky