• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Greentoes

Original poster
Apr 5, 2018
Long time lurker here; finally joined.

I have smoker envy and someday want to do a custom build. I have not taken the plunge with regular market smokers because I feel like they don't have everything I want (obviously the very expensive ones do, LOL) and I don't want to waste money on something I'm probably not going to be happy with.

I've done some decent things in the oven but royally screwed up my last pork shoulder, so I punished myself by looking at mouthwatering photos on this website...

Someday.

Me too!

First up is some gardening but I'm always thinking of different builds and how great it would be. I checked on the smokers at the local BigBox store but they seemed so flimsy.

I saw a vertical toolbox build that seemed really cool so maybe I'll check out the quality of metal on those next.

Welcome aboard. I'm not sure what your looking for, but the WSM isn't to expensive and is used by many people on this site. It's also used by some folks on the BBQ circuit. Anyway good luck with your search.

Chris

Reactions: Greentoes
Thanks Al!

GMC,

I really love all the brick builds but ultimately will probably wind up with an electric source for ease and consistency. I wish I knew someone who did metal fabrication but that seems out of reach.

I've taken pages of notes from SMF over the last several years, and am leaning towards a custom build on the small side with a brick/firebrick bottom and the wood "outhouse" top. I would really love a metal interior and thought of buying a Big Chief and surrounding it for insulative qualities (maybe plopping it on top on brick base inside of wood outhouse top and modifying for electric or possible dual fuel burn). I'm just not sure that the Big Chief metal walls are even worth the money because I have not seen it in person and it is probably flimsy also.

I'm still bouncing ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky