Newbie with Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosov

Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis, MO, USA
Kind of new at this smoking thing.  Getting ready to do my first pork belly.   Got a question though: I'd like to do a couple of filets of salmon.  Is it okay to do two different types of foods at once?

TG

Yes it's ok to do more than one type of meat at a time.

Having never done salmon or bellie bacon .The only thing i would say is make sure my fish is not under my bacon so that the fish doesn't end up tasting like pig. Other than that i defer to some of my bretheren and sisters who have smoked these items

I often do veggies on the top rack. I think of it as an order of "done temps." Things that need a higher temperature go on bottom. I use LOTS of thermometers, both in my food and in the cabinet. I don't need to worry at NEARLY as much when I have my temps.

My general stack is:

Veggies

Cheeses/Nuts

Anything in a pan (no dripping/no problem)

Anything drippy/sausage/without a pan

Anything chicken

Cheers!

-Princess

I often do veggies on the top rack. I think of it as an order of "done temps." Things that need a higher temperature go on bottom. I use LOTS of thermometers, both in my food and in the cabinet. I don't need to worry at NEARLY as much when I have my temps.

My general stack is:

Veggies

Cheeses/Nuts

Anything in a pan (no dripping/no problem)

Anything drippy/sausage/without a pan

Anything chicken

Cheers!

-Princess
Hmmmmm ,I was allways taught that heat rises. wouldn't that make the upper part of the chamber hotter??

Next test i will be running on the MES. LOL

eman, Princess, thanks a bunch.  Sounds like it's okay.  And yes, it makes sense to put the salmon on the top rack; if there're any drippings from it, they will land on the bacon fat, which I'm going to cut off afterwards anyway.

Again - thanks.

TG

My heat source is at the bottom. It is hotter closer to the flame. In fact, the butts I did on Sunday got as much as 20* apart at one point. :) 

I can also manipulate my temperatures by playing with the dampers. WIDE OPEN at the top, nearly closed at the base is my favorite way to go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky