Newbie w/ a Chargriller Duo w/ SFB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I don't even plan on taking my duo out of the garage until the weather warms up a bit...I'm not going to attempt to season this thing when its at most 45 degrees out and raining/snowing.  The cars will just have to suffer being a little closer together until I can move the duo to the patio.  I hope it warms up soon...I'm dying to start smoking some stuff!!

Why wait just wheel it out in the driveway and get it all seasoned up ready to roll. My last smoke with my chargriller was in 19 degrees. Not too hard to control temps just burned alot more fuel then usual. I have learned first hand why they say wicked good lump is as good as it says. Never again will I burn frontier lump that stuff is terrible. Have fun with the hobby any questions be sure to ask these guys are great. I have only been smoking since November. But I have learned so much. I have mastered smoked salmon over the years in my little chief smoker. But I do have to say I love my chargriller more it puts out great tasting things as well.

I don't think I'd wait either, I'd get that bad boy seasoned and ready to go! I had a chargriller for years and smoked year around and I live in Jersey. Good luck with the new smoker, it's more than capable of putting out some great smoked food.

High 50's a couple of days next week (fingers crossed).  

I've been doing some reading, and I plan on doing a few mods very soon:

1. charcoal basket...but I have not been able to find the Charbroil one anywhere...and there website doesn't show it from what I can find, so I'm thinking it might have been discontinued. :( I was really hoping to find something pre-made to put in the SFB w/out having to bend expanded metal

2. Extending the chimney to grate level

3. Sealing between the smoke box and the SFB w/ RTV

4. Make some tuning plates to put in the smoke box.

I have not been having much luck finding a decent charcoal basket.  I found this where I work...what do you guys think? It's not as tall as I was hoping for, but should still hold a fair amount of lump...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJLMQ2/?tag=smokingmeatforums-20

I can get it for $9, so I'm not really out anything if it doesn't work; but I wanted y'alls opinions first. 

Hey tdavis, how big is that wok you are looking at? I have a pro-griller and I don't think that would fit in the firebox. But pictures can be deceiving. It does look big enough to hold enough lump since it doesn't take alot of lump to get your temps up there. I would also go ahead and season it without the mods being done. That way you can see what your smoker temps are and how each mod effects those temps and fuel consumption. Just my opinion. Whatever you do have fun and good luck!

Hey tdavis, how big is that wok you are looking at? I have a pro-griller and I don't think that would fit in the firebox. But pictures can be deceiving. It does look big enough to hold enough lump since it doesn't take alot of lump to get your temps up there. I would also go ahead and season it without the mods being done. That way you can see what your smoker temps are and how each mod effects those temps and fuel consumption. Just my opinion. Whatever you do have fun and good luck!
I'm not sure of the actual dimensions...I ended up building a box out of some 24" expanded metal and some stainless nuts, bolts, and fender washers...I was bored at work last night, and all of the tools were at my disposal.  It helps that where I work, we sell the smoking pro, so I was able to test the box in the SFB to see if it would fit...took three tries, but it just slides in there.  I might buy the wok for grilling veggies and such though ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky