Newbie Southern Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ShaeSays

Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Hello everyone.

Newbie smoker here. I've used my smoker three times! Two pork butts and a mutton leg. I have a ZGrill pellet smoker.

I live in Indianapolis but grew up in rural southern Indiana, east of Evansville, on the border of Western Kentucky. I grew up eating mutton (adult sheep) and burgoo in Owensboro, and my dad's workplace used to have an annual whole pig roast complete with homemade cracklins. My extended family in Southern Illinois was involved with an annual barbeque festival that featured pulled pork with a sauce that is essentially one part vinegar, one part butter and a lot of cayenne pepper. My dad, who is no longer with us, built and frequently used a giant smoker, perhaps made from a propane tank? I didn't pay much attention back then. And I'm a foodie who loves both highbrow and lowbrow food. So you can see this hobby was inevitable for me.

One of my main goals is to make burgoo with smoked mutton and other meats. Shout out if you're familiar with that! I also like to smoke meat and freeze in small portions for quickly making tacos and such.

I've already gotten a great welcome and some good advice from some of you. Thanks for the welcome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky