• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Newbie Southern Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois

ShaeSays

Joined Jan 20, 2021
Hello everyone.

Newbie smoker here. I've used my smoker three times! Two pork butts and a mutton leg. I have a ZGrill pellet smoker.

I live in Indianapolis but grew up in rural southern Indiana, east of Evansville, on the border of Western Kentucky. I grew up eating mutton (adult sheep) and burgoo in Owensboro, and my dad's workplace used to have an annual whole pig roast complete with homemade cracklins. My extended family in Southern Illinois was involved with an annual barbeque festival that featured pulled pork with a sauce that is essentially one part vinegar, one part butter and a lot of cayenne pepper. My dad, who is no longer with us, built and frequently used a giant smoker, perhaps made from a propane tank? I didn't pay much attention back then. And I'm a foodie who loves both highbrow and lowbrow food. So you can see this hobby was inevitable for me.

One of my main goals is to make burgoo with smoked mutton and other meats. Shout out if you're familiar with that! I also like to smoke meat and freeze in small portions for quickly making tacos and such.

I've already gotten a great welcome and some good advice from some of you. Thanks for the welcome.

TNJAKE

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
We've already met but welcome from middle tennessee. I'm about 15mi from ft campbell ky

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Happy to have you join us!
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Welcome glad to have you on board. We like photos of your cooks.

Warren

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like ShaeSays it is appreciated.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.