Newbie smoking for the first time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ilmn8er

Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Hey everyone I recently purchased my first smoker and am hosting a christmas party this year. Im going to smoke wings and a pork roast and Im really wanting these wings to pop with flavor. Ive read a lot on temps and times but cant find a decent rub. Does anyone have a recommendation for a kick butt rub for this meat?

Last edited:
These are the recipes that I use for anything poultry...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Starting Two Days out...

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Bubba Chix Rub

1/2C Raw Sugar

2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)

1T Cayenne

1T Gran. Garlic

1T Gran. Onion

1tsp Black Pepper

1tsp Wht Pepper

1tsp Allspice

1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning or Thyme

Mix well. You can put directly on the skin or mix with Butter, Oil or Bacon Grease and rub on and under the Skin.

Reduce Cayenne to 1teaspoon if less heat is desired.

This recipe is good also...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119306/scarbelly-wings-buffalo-style

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Awesome thank you so much for the input! JJ can you explain the 1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix. I got the cups and tablespoons just didnt follow the volume of this part of instructions.

Last edited:
Awesome thank you so much for the input! JJ can you explain the 1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix. I got the cups and tablespoons just didnt follow the volume of this part of instructions.
That's from the brine recipe, which is basically a bath for the chicken.    Use 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of water to cover the chicken.    Exactly how much water kind of depends on the shape/size/volume of the container that you are using for the brine.

Last edited:

That's from the brine recipe, which is basically a bath for the chicken.    Use 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of water to cover the chicken.    Exactly how much water kind of depends on the shape/size/volume of the container that you are using for the brine.
Great answer! Yep. I brine in a 20Qt Stock Pot. An 8Lb Chicken may need more brine than a 20Lb Turkey to cover it. I make the recipe with 1 Gallon of Water, then if needed I know I can safely add up to another 1/2 Gallon, to cover, without messing up the the flavor or result. I don't often need to add more but I include it in the recipe for those that may need it...JJ

Or you could try scarbelly's wing recipe. Search it at the top of the page. My personal favorite for wings with the sauce on the inside. Less mess and wow oh so flavorful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky