Newbie smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
Hi everyone

Thanks for letting me join the site.

I’m very new to smoking. Always enjoyed the food but with the lockdown I’ve had the time to try giving it a go myself and really enjoying it so far.

I only have a very basic offset from amazon (it’s not good at all) until I upgrade. Debating between a Kamado or a proper offset.

Here are my last 2 cooks - pulled pork and a wet and dry back back ribs. Can’t say I loved the rub I used for the ribs -the typical salt, pepper, chilli, paprika, so looking on the internet for something different this weekend.

looking forward to reading the threads on this post to learn a lot more!

thanks

Attachments

• AF395D9D-B661-4416-9235-A97B4CAC5E79.jpeg
    AF395D9D-B661-4416-9235-A97B4CAC5E79.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2DD426A8-B6E3-4465-B041-C93AA6CC6A9E.jpeg
    2DD426A8-B6E3-4465-B041-C93AA6CC6A9E.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 0A7360D6-5005-488C-8294-8526EFF38BFE.jpeg
    0A7360D6-5005-488C-8294-8526EFF38BFE.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 44
Also, living in the UK with plans to relocate to Michigan in a couple of years, which is why I was leaning towards a Kamado (cold weather in both!)

Welcome from Nd.
On the home page ,scroll down to Jeff's Links. His rubs and sauces can be purchased. They are quite good !

Reactions: MCQSmoker
Welcome from Tennessee. Some good looking good you got there

Thanks Jake! I went through Tennessee as part of our honeymoon. Peg Leg Porker was particularly memorable, and enjoyed a Martins BBQ near Broadway too. You have great choice over there!

Reactions: TNJAKE
welcome to smf, great place here! your food looks good from here, i will say ya don't need expensive equipment to turn out great food.

Thanks Jim! Would love to upgrade but wary of investing too much at the moment as we'd be unlikely to be able to fly it over if we do end up moving. Gives me time to debate internally about a Kamado v an Offset. Great profile picture by the way!

Also, living in the UK with plans to relocate to Michigan in a couple of years, which is why I was leaning towards a Kamado (cold weather in both!)

The Komodo style cookers are nice but for serious smoking in northern climates, I would have you take a look at an insulated cabinet smoker like a Stump's.

I live in Wisconsin and there is no substitute for the insulated cabinet for smoking during winter months.

Welcome to the site...

JC :emoji_cat:

The Komodo style cookers are nice but for serious smoking in northern climates, I would have you take a look at an insulated cabinet smoker like a Stump's.

I live in Wisconsin and there is no substitute for the insulated cabinet for smoking during winter months.

Welcome to the site...

Thanks JC. I just checked Stump's website and you're right, they look pretty serious! Going to browse a few youtube videos of them this evening

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks JC. I just checked Stump's website and you're right, they look pretty serious! Going to browse a few youtube videos of them this evening

I have a Stump's Baby and I love it. Just the right size for my backyard cooks.

Glad I could help. Feel free to ask any questions about the cooker. I will provide my best answer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky