Newbie Here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking forward to learning new things from like minded people! I'm obsessed with this stuff (particularly briskets & learning sausage making).
Somehow I missed the part about sausage making the first time I read this. If you're interested in giving it a go, just send me a PM. I'm fully equipped, have lots of seasoning mixes, as well as a bunch of recipes. We can set up and get you going.

Robert

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Just remembered this post. Here is some basic info if you'd like to read up a bit.

Robert

Just remembered this post. Here is some basic info if you'd like to read up a bit.

Robert
Thanks for this! Very detailed and helpful

Howdy from south Austin. If you ever want to chat about sausage making, let me know.

Welcome from South Austin!
Two quick comments..first is to remember that the cook is more important than the cooker.
My first charcoal/wood burner was a literal POS, but I figured out how to cook the best brisket and ribs I ever cooked.
I just knew I needed a "real" offset rig and when I finally got one I murdered half a dozen briskets before I figured out what was wrong with the layout in the cook chamber.
I'm told that the "real" offset rigs, that cost $2000/$3000 create better smoked meat along with less tending of the fire, but I'm not in that income bracket so I went under $1000.
Lastly, do yourself a favor and buy a moisture meter (under $40 for some on Amazon) and start testing your wood before you pass cash over to the chainsaw drivers.
Wood with around 20% internal moisture count burns much different and better for smoking meat purposes, than wood at 30% and over.
I'm not here to name names but after buying "seasoned" oak here in Austin and having trouble cooking with it, I tested and found it was still pretty green.
I let it sit for two years before it started burning right and producing the coal bed I wanted.
My opinion is that the 1 million BBQ sellers in Travis and surrounding counties have driven the price of seasoned oak up while reducing the amount of good wood significantly.
You sir are about to become a wood detective, if you want the best fuel that is....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky