Newbie here, two smokes in two days.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmithPen

Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
Neighbor just sold me his Masterbuilt electric smoker, model 20073716.
For the first smoke, it was a large sirloin on top and 4 boneless chicken breasts on bottom.
I used a combination of cherry and hickory chips. I was prepared for the long wait, and was amazed that all was done within 40 minutes with smoker set around 230.
Meat was overcooked, sadly.
Neighbor came over when meat was coming out. He noticed large amounts of what appeared to be chatted paint on inside of door, on all interiors except for bottom. While we chatted about it, said chatted areas started to bubble and scraped off some on door. See pics.

I took the entire smoker apart, except for element, which I could not remove. I scraped as much paint off with a razor blade, then pressure washed entire unit. I then reassembled unit, sprayed entire interior with oil and seasoned for 1.5 hours.

Next up was a 5.5lb 2 year old brisket, that I consider to be a sacrificial piece of meet. Smoke at 230-250 for 6:20. Sadly, it was done too late for supper, but will try it today.

Positive note, did not see anymore paint issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_090747229.jpg
    IMG_20200704_090747229.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200704_090741955.jpg
    IMG_20200704_090741955.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200704_090738191.jpg
    IMG_20200704_090738191.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200704_090718278.jpg
    IMG_20200704_090718278.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: JC in GB
Never seen paint on the inside of a smoker, and I have seen a lot of them, creosote would be my guess as well,is that the water pan? they put a porcelain glaze on those

Looks like built up seasonings to me.
I don't think I ever saw an MES that was painted black on the inside.
If that's black paint, I'm wondering who painted it?

Bear

Never seen paint on the inside of a smoker, and I have seen a lot of them, creosote would be my guess as well,is that the water pan? they put a porcelain glaze on those
Pics were the interior, as well as the inside of door, showing where the paint or coating was peeled off.

Pics were the interior, as well as the inside of door, showing where the paint or coating was peeled off.
In my opinion, the coating in the inside was too uniform to be creosote. Also, after 30+ years of grilling, I never found creosote that could not be scraped off with a razor blade. There were many areas on this on had sections the blade would not scrape.

Did you buy that MES new?
If you did, I'm betting it was bare metal color inside until you used it a few times.

This is what they usually look like (inside) brand new:
b441e942_DSC01667.JPG

And here's my Smoker too. This one used to be sliver inside too, and NO, I didn't paint it. It just gets that way from smoking in it. If you look close, you can see 2 little silver circles on the back wall, from me cleaning the Black off around my Heat Sensors to make sure they work properly.
Yup--No paint in the insides of MES units.
IMG_1658.jpg

Bear

Last edited:
It is used. Previous owner, across the street, bought it new about 2-3 years ago. Again, to me, one area of the interior and also the door interior pic are the tell tale. The color is too consistent to be bare metal with creosote. and when scraping with blade, it was absolutely like removing paint, not removing greasy creasote, like in other grills I've had. Granted, if it was not paint, sobeit. When you see the "coating" bubbling out like a baseball underneath it tells you something is need. So, as stated, after a 6+ smoke, I saw no more blistering nor bubbling.

I have to agree, John. Even though my MES 30 Gen 1 is black on the outside, the interior was bare metal. I'm thinking this one has been painted.
Gary

Bear: Gary, Yours was bare metal when new, like mine was?
Gary: Yes.
Bear: Is yours Black inside now, like mine is?
Bear Did you paint it black inside? I didn't.

Bear

Bear: Gary, Yours was bare metal when new, like mine was?
Bear: Is yours Black inside now, like mine is?
Bear Did you paint it black inside? I didn't.

Bear
So, for everyone. Neighbor was next to me when we opened it and saw the bubbled paint. I asked him right if it was paint or "seasoning". He said paint. I asked him again this morning when he was seasoning his new Cuisinart if my Masterbuilt was shiny metal when new or black. He said black. He show me pics from a sales site (I forget which site it was) that showed black interior. Again, I've seen grills with seasoning, have owned many that turned color. The color on this was too consistent, too perfect to be seasoning. He said he never painted a thing.

Interesting development. Neighbor told me the pics he showed me were for a Propane smoker, not the electric. So, this am, I searched and searched for interior pics of the smoker when new. Only have found one site so far, and it appears the interior is bare metal yet the interior of the door is painted black. see attached. Still does not explain how some of the "stuff" on the inside could not be scrapped off with a razor blade. Again, it was not greasy like "seasoning" or crispy like creosote. and even after pressure washing, some areas did not come off. Additionally, some areas on the interior that were able to be peeled did actually peel around edges to outside. I am not too concerned.

One thing I do note is that the door is not tight on this. I am not sure if I damaged the hinges when cleaning it or or if came to me this way. When cleaning, I had it on its back with door hanging open, so I may have bent them or the thread-o-lets in the wall.

I did buy a remote temp monitor for future. Also, finally had some of the brisket I smoked. Not excellent, but the flavor was great, just a bit tough. I pulled it at 193 deg. I understand smoking is a different mindset from just grilling, but curious if I should have pulled sooner. Granted, it was an old piece of meat that was destined for the Insta-Pot before we got the smoker.

Attachments

• 41su5-J8xtL.jpg
    41su5-J8xtL.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 24
Interesting development. Neighbor told me the pics he showed me were for a Propane smoker, not the electric. So, this am, I searched and searched for interior pics of the smoker when new. Only have found one site so far, and it appears the interior is bare metal yet the interior of the door is painted black. see attached. Still does not explain how some of the "stuff" on the inside could not be scrapped off with a razor blade. Again, it was not greasy like "seasoning" or crispy like creosote. and even after pressure washing, some areas did not come off. Additionally, some areas on the interior that were able to be peeled did actually peel around edges to outside. I am not too concerned.

One thing I do note is that the door is not tight on this. I am not sure if I damaged the hinges when cleaning it or or if came to me this way. When cleaning, I had it on its back with door hanging open, so I may have bent them or the thread-o-lets in the wall.

I did buy a remote temp monitor for future. Also, finally had some of the brisket I smoked. Not excellent, but the flavor was great, just a bit tough. I pulled it at 193 deg. I understand smoking is a different mindset from just grilling, but curious if I should have pulled sooner. Granted, it was an old piece of meat that was destined for the Insta-Pot before we got the smoker.

Thanks SP,
I don't think there was any MES units made with a painted black interior, and like mike243 mike243 said, "I've seen a lot of them". If you could see any of mine close up, you would see the black is nice & smooth, just like a nice coat of paint would appear, but it's just a very slow build-up of whatever accumulates from slow smoking in an electric smoker. And it doesn't come off easy, which is why the only thing I ever do with the interior walls & ceiling is watch for any loose pieces that could possibly fall on my food. Then I take a rag & wipe anything loose off. None of this is in the least bit greasy---It's all Dry & Hard.

As for the door being damaged or loose, can't you tighten it up with the adjustable Latch?
They work pretty good, and might take care of it.

As for your brisket, I would sooner think you pulled it too soon, not too late. I wasn't there to see it in person, but most of my Butts, Chucks, and Briskets are around the 203° IT when they are ready to be pulled pork or Beef (200° to 205°).

BTW: That pic isn't an MES. Looks more like a "Cook Shack" or a copy of one.

Bear

Last edited:

about 2/3 way down is the MB20073716. Interior of door is black.

As for the brisket, I was trying to smoke at 250, but temps were waffling between 200-250, could not get it dialed in very well. I do not believe the accuracy of the door mounted thermometer at all, though will say that after thoroughly cleaning it, it was more accurate. My remote thermometers should help.

for the door issue, on the hing side, with the door securely latched (tight on the latch side), there is a slight gap on the hinge side. That being said, my neighbors new Cuisinart was letting smoke out through the door during the initial seasoning, so perhaps I am just overthinking it. I will try and get a pic tonight of it.

I am curios if anyone has tried to convert these portables to digital, or is that just a waste of time.

Also, here is a review photo, from another site, showing obviously a brand new smoker staged for the shoot. The interior is clearly black.

Attachments

• 919iYJYC8+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    919iYJYC8+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 23
Well SP, I'm starting to think you'll never know for sure. The important thing is the smoker is working great now!! I'd just keep an eye on the interior and, if it starts to bubble or flake, just scrape it off and carry on. I just use a putty knife to clean mine up.
So.....if it were me, I'd just enjoy the smoker. Don't sweat the little things.
Gary

Well SP, I'm starting to think you'll never know for sure. The important thing is the smoker is working great now!! I'd just keep an eye on the interior and, if it starts to bubble or flake, just scrape it off and carry on. I just use a putty knife to clean mine up.
So.....if it were me, I'd just enjoy the smoker. Don't sweat the little things.
Gary
Absolutely. This is a new cooking method for me, and I love it. I am greatly looking for trying different recipes, etc. Read a few articles about trying to copy the recipe for Montreal Smoked Meat. I may have to try that some day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky