newbie help please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsmitty

Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Bellaire Oh
well, its official, i am a proud owner of a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker. Got it home last night, put it all together, will be doing the three hour seasoning process tonight. So what is first? I was thinking to make a meal for my in-laws for football sunday. Something to do after church 1230ish and be done before 7. Im thinking a couple racks of ribs? and maybe try some ABTs.... thoughts on this?

Also, I got three different woods: Apple, Cherry and Hickory. Not sure what I want to start with, but we will see. I am sure after a few more hours on the site, I can pinpoint what I want to use. But your thoughts are welcom as well!

I think I am going to be hooked, especially if the ribs turn out the way I want them too. Is there anything I should be aware of starting off? (do not have time for the 5 day thing) Also, if I use the smoker under a Trex deck, will it hurt the boards at all? (discolor or anything like that?)

Thanks,

Dsmitty

Couple a racks of spares done the 3-2-1 method ,Some abts and if it was me ,I'd throw on a pan of dutch,s wicked beans to complete the meal.

Can't ask for a better sunday supper than that.

As for the wood, A little hickory mixed w/ apple does great on ribs.

Just remember you want thin blue smoke  so just a small hand full of chips at a time.

Last edited:
Couple a racks of spares done the 3-2-1 method ,Some abts and if it was me ,I'd throw on a pan of dutch,s wicked beans to complete the meal.

Just remember you want thin blue smoke  so just a small hand full of chips at a time.
What a great and practical reply. I would have replied in the same manner. It's all good my friend.

What Eman said, plus set your heat at about 230˚.

If you like it real smokey, use all hickory.

More mild, Apple or Cherry.

Not sure---Mix like Eman said.

Bear

If you want something easier as a start you can always do a chicken and use the same sides the Eman suggested. Have you bought a thermometer yet? I would recommend the ET73 as it monitors the smoker and the food at the same time. good luck

Eman and Bear are right on. I personally like mixing wood. I'll use hickory and cherry, or Hickory and apple.

Good luck and let's see some Q-view

icon_cool.gif

Now ribs are a good first smoke but I would say you should smoke a pork butt. It's a long and very forgiving smoke. A butt will give you a long smoke and if the temp jumps up or goes down it wouldn't hurt it in the long run. Then you can just pull the meat into big chunks that can be served as little big chunks of juicy wonders. 

Thanks for all the advise guys. I plan on doing the 3-2-1... I just need to figure out a rub for the ribs now and then what im going to fill the ABT's with (even if i do them, family may not like them) I will do my best to remember to do a QVIEW, but if it turns out bad, I may not share a bad story! haha just kidding, because I would need all the help possible.

I say load it up with a small chuckie, some yard bird, a fatty and a small butt with them ribs and ABT's, leftover's are just as good. Start out with a mild wood to see how you like it.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking

forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i have two racks of spare ribs seasoned and resting for tomorrow... and i also stufffed some white mushrooms with crab, baco and cheese.... not sure how I am going to do the mushrooms yet, but i knkow it is going to involve a lot of butter and garlic... to smoke or not to smoke is the question....

Also, correct me if im wrong... 230 to 240 for 3 hours with smoke... foil add apple  juice in foil for 2 hours at same temp..... unfoil, and back in for an hour..... never changing temp? if so, should have some QVIEW sometime for yins sunday night!

I must add with the ribs and stuffed shrooms, I am going to make some baked potatoes, rubed with EVOO and seasalt, wrapped in foil and in crock pot for 6 hours.... should complete the meal with a little steamed vegie....

appreciate all the help guys/gals!

i have two racks of spare ribs seasoned and resting for tomorrow... and i also stufffed some white mushrooms with crab, baco and cheese.... not sure how I am going to do the mushrooms yet, but i knkow it is going to involve a lot of butter and garlic... to smoke or not to smoke is the question....

Also, correct me if im wrong... 230 to 240 for 3 hours with smoke... foil add apple  juice in foil for 2 hours at same temp..... unfoil, and back in for an hour..... never changing temp? if so, should have some QVIEW sometime for yins sunday night!

I must add with the ribs and stuffed shrooms, I am going to make some baked potatoes, rubed with EVOO and seasalt, wrapped in foil and in crock pot for 6 hours.... should complete the meal with a little steamed vegie....

appreciate all the help guys/gals!
Sounds like you got it right !

Should be some Great Qview.

Bear

Slow Your Roll My Friend!!

Your In-Laws are going to expect you to top this smoking experience on the next visit.

In my case, I BBQ up the good stuff AFTER THEY LEAVE!

Good Luck & Enjoy your new toy!

Todd

Wooo! Welcome to the land of the smokers!

Top rack is always a good place for veggies. Baste up some thick eggplant slices, zuchinni, jut about anything can run up there, even just for the flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky