Newbie from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hero23

Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Howdy. I'm still trying to figure out the art of smoking. I have a cheep-o smoker. In the past, i have put enough charcoal to last the entire smoke. The heat really dies out toward the end, but the ribs are still delicious. Is it better to start with a small amount of charcoal and continue to add through-out the smoke? Thanks!

Welcome to the SMF. I suggest that you take Jeffs 5 day course on smoke cooking it's free and full of good information. If you in the market for a good rub and/or sauce recipe you might want to get Jeff's.I use electric and propane smokers so I can't answer your question, but hang on someone will be along soon with your answer. Ask all the questions you have the good folks here love to help out. Remember this the folks here consider the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. enjoy the family here

In the past how have your temperatures held up? Starting with enough fuel to get up to temp and then adding as needed has always been my method. Easier to control and maintain for longer runs. Welcome to SMF by the way. Also, what type of smoker are you using?

Welcome to the forum. It would help us greatly if we knew what kind of smoker you have. Cause every smoker works slightly dif.

Thanks for the warm reception. I have an ECB. The temp gauge always read ideal, so of course I truly don't know the temp. By the time the meat is done, my charcoal has completely changed to ash, but the meat is falling off the bone. I haven't had any complaints from friends and family yet. I just didn't know if this was a proper method or not.

Hello Hero23, welcome to the smf. Check out the free 5 day course..also check out the mods for the ecb,,,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky