Newbie from Alabama

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve in AL

Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
Hello all, have been reading the forum posts here for a few weeks, and decided today to take the plunge:
- I just started up my first "test run" bacon, using a dry cure EQ method. I used the diggingdogfarm calculator and the salt/sugar presets already shown there, for a recipe starting place. I figure that it may cure out a bit too salty for my taste, but I'll do a test fry of a small piece to check the taste before I throw it to the smoke. If too salty, I'll soak it for a while before smoking (hot smoke using the Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker I already have on-hand) - looking forward to the taste test in about a week, and recipe adjustments as appropriate to improve the flavor.
Any recipe comments / suggestions would be most appreciated!
Thx -

Welcome from Virginia Steve! There is a lot of guys here you can learn from and make some amazing food! Looking forward to seeing how bacon comes out!

Welcome from Mississippi! I also use a MB vertical gas smoker. Look forward to your post and pics (we are visually inclined here).

Jim

Another welcome from Iowa! As long as you get the right amount of cure and time in cure the rest is more personal choice as far as dialing it in to what you like best.

Ryan

I know I'm a little late, but welcome (I never think to check Roll Call!). I'm also in AL and use a MB vertical propane (now that I've "mostly" figured the thing out, anyway!).

Lots of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge...jump in and make some noise! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello all, have been reading the forum posts here for a few weeks, and decided today to take the plunge:
- I just started up my first "test run" bacon, using a dry cure EQ method. I used the diggingdogfarm calculator and the salt/sugar presets already shown there, for a recipe starting place. I figure that it may cure out a bit too salty for my taste, but I'll do a test fry of a small piece to check the taste before I throw it to the smoke. If too salty, I'll soak it for a while before smoking (hot smoke using the Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker I already have on-hand) - looking forward to the taste test in about a week, and recipe adjustments as appropriate to improve the flavor.
Any recipe comments / suggestions would be most appreciated!
Thx -
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum! im in alabama as well happy smoking man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky