Newb from Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rascus

Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Black Forest, Co
Morning, afternoon, evening, where ever you maybe right now.

new to the forums and new to smoking. Picked up a Brinkman vertical smoker on saturday, I know not the greatest but it was only 70 bucks and liked the fact it was wood burning.

Spent saturday putting it together and getting it cured. I did drill some holes into the coal pan like I saw on some reviews. We'll have to see how that works. I noticed too the doors do not stay shut that well. Any advice for that?

Going to try and smoke something this up-coming weekend, not exactly sure yet what, maybe a pork shoulder.

Anyways, I have a lot of reading and learning to do.

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to do some chicken or ribs first and make sure you can get a long steady controled burn out of your rig before doing a pork butt. Butt's can go 12+ hrs. and if you have to keep messing with it the entire time it can really be a  pain.

Don't forget the pictures and holler if you need some help.

Welocme Aboard. Maybe check out out homepage. There is a link there for a free e-course. Sign up & have fun. Ask questions & don't forget the QVIEW!

welcome1.gif

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to do some chicken or ribs first and make sure you can get a long steady controled burn out of your rig before doing a pork butt. Butt's can go 12+ hrs. and if you have to keep messing with it the entire time it can really be a  pain.

Don't forget the pictures and holler if you need some help.
thanks for the suggestion, I may just go that route then.

EDIT: what do you suggest then? Some thighs, legs, etc or were you talking a whole chicken? I may go for some ribs as we're a big fan of them.

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

Welcome Rascus - Johnny nailed it on the chicken and ribs.  Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky