Newb doing first pork shoulder.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobomatic

Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
getting ready to try for some PP. 
icon_eek.gif
i got an 8lb shoulder I'm gonna rub and let sit in the fridge for 10/12 hours and try and have finished for dinner on Thursday around 6pm. its Wednesday 1:15pm now. if i throw it in at 8am Thursday do ya think it would be ready by then? i understand there's some variables and all but just looking for a ballpark figure here. its going in a MES 30 at 225 or so.  (if that matters) i plan on trimming most of the fat off the bottom, and might foiling it. as i understand it, No foil gives you more bark, I'm OK with that but does foil help keep it tender? i know it helps with the "stall" if its just a longer cook id rather have the bark. Another thing, what part should be down? I'm putting it on the middle rack. thinking fat down (trimmed fat side down) to help protect the meat.

thanks Q people.

I find it takes me about 2 hours per pound and I foil. It will take longer if you don't foil. There is no way to give a time. Each piece of meat cooks a little differently. I give 2 hours per pound and I am usually done a little early. Then I wrap it in foil, then towels and then into a cooler for about an hour and even more doesn't hurt.

As for foil or no foil, people do both but some of the best smokers on the forum don't to get the most bark and I've never heard one of them complain about dried pork.

Disco

Its hard to say.... if you run into  a stall it wont be ready.. i would run your smoker at 250 to Get by a stall...Pork shoulders are forgiving. You can trim the fat to your liking but the fat will add flavor and moisture.. I always leave it

Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures

Joe

thanks disco. after i took the pork out of the bag, it looks like i got a full shoulder (the butt and the picnic) thats what i came up with after a google search. so i cut them into two pieces. they look to be about 4lbs each so that should help with the cooking time & gonna go with no foil. will post picks when done.

10 hours for an 8 lb butt probably won't happen for you. I use an MES 30 & usually figure for 2 hours/lb at around 225* I don't foil as I like bark too much. You want to allow time to wrap & rest it before pulling as well. It is better to finish a few hours early than to be waiting for it to get done. It will stay hot for hours wrapped in a cooler. As far as which side up - I keep my fat cap up to allow it to render down into the meat.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/135018/smoke-for-tomorrows-meal-mes-30-amnps   Here is a 9 lb butt I did in the MES if it is any help to you...

Have fun with your smoke & make sure you take some pics for us 
beercheer.gif

EDIT: Just saw you replied while I was typing 
smile.gif
  Since you now have two 4 lb pieces you should be just fine with your time schedule
thumb1.gif

Last edited:
Gonna start the smoker about 8am should give me an extra hour or two, just in case.  I have the MES 30 & have to open the door to add chips. This will be my longest smoke yet, how much should I add? Filling the tray half full on a 3 hour smoke leaves me with black chips no ash. I'm thinking less chips to start. I drilled one  1/4" hole on each end of tray tonight. Will see if the air flow helps.  Hope I can resist the urge to peek.. :)

the butts have been in since 8:30am @ 130* and the IT is 152*. is that fast (3hours) for 4lb's? and what IT temp should i pull it at to let it rest in cooler if i want a 205 temp?

Edit: almost two hours later IT temp at 167* that seems right to me.

Last edited:
How is it going. Is it pulling time? I'm doing a 9 pounder. I'm starting late Friday/Early Saturday for 2pm feast.

10 hours in & we're @ 197°. 4/5° more... got people waiting.....

Last edited:
OK, first shoulder All done! i gotta say it was pretty dang good, sauce & no-sauce. i did think it was a Little mushy, (just a smedge)  but everyone else thought it was best
icon14.gif
. i pulled it a 200* never foiled & let it rest for 30min. took around 10.5 hrs for two 4lb er's at 230/235*. i got nervous when it stuck at 200* and pulled it. gonna check the accuracy of my ET-73 tomorrow. is 10.5 hrs long for 4lb shoulder?  took a couple of pics.. people at the table, saying "put the phone away, lets go! And the dogs hoping i drop something..
51.gif
  there loving the bone i cut up...

Did the IT stall?
Yep.  from Around 170* to 190* took about 4.5/5 hours. not sure if that really qualifies as a stall, but i thought since it too 5 hours to get to 170*  it seemed like a little lull in the cooking. it was nice and juicy and tender. the bone pulled out clean..

Remember you have to let it rest for an hour or so also.
would have liked too. but, I was a little late & the family/friends where hungry and didnt see the point it letting it sit there for more then 1/2 hour.
smile.gif

I am relatively new to this as well and have a party Saturday and I'm cooking a 14lb pork shoulder for pulled pork.  After reading a lot of threads and checking with my trusty neighbour, this appears to be a very long process.  Thoughts as to how to do this, or break it up, I've looked at smoking Fri until 165 deg, (timing it to approx 11pm-12am), then putting it in the oven at 225 (wrapped in foil) until it reaches approx. 205 deg (over night) at which time I will wrap in towels as suggested and place in a cooler for an hr or 2 then start pulling...  This is my first rough idea... thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.  Please suggest away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky