New Years PA Dutch Pork & Krout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
My wife is German and From PA Dutch country. Every Jan1, its pork and krout, German style

Pork butt getting a sear.
IMG_9818.JPG

In the slow cooker.
krout
caraway seed
brown sugar
granny smith apple
S&P
butter

In for 6-7 hours on low.

IMG_4077.JPG

I'll be checking on this! My wife, though Pittsburgh Italian, remembers her grandmother making something similar on New Years. We have most of a 7 1/2# shoulder left over from yesterday and she is planning something with krout to go with it today.
I may have to pop out for apples....

Looks Good, Rick!! Like.
Our Pork Roast went in the Crock at 9 AM.
Kraut will go in at 2 PM.
Eat at 4 PM. With Mashed Taters & lots of Butter!!
Mrs Bear is 50% PA Dutch, while The Bear is 100%.

Bear

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Thanks

3-4 pound Pork Loin or boneless pork butt
2 pounds (one sack silver floss with juice) Better if you have authentic German krout
1 teaspoon Caraway Seeds (optional but recommended)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 medium Granny Smith Apple(cored, peeled, and chopped
¼ cup Butter
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper

Instructions
Add pork loin/butt to a 6 quart slow cooker and top with sauerkraut, caraway seeds, brown sugar, chopped apple, butter, salt, and pepper.
Turn slow cooker on low and cook for 6 hours, or until pork loin is tender but not yet falling apart.
Cut the pork loin/butt into individual serving sizes and serve topped with sauerkraut and cooking juices.

Small taters or mashed go great with this.

Ha and the Pa habits show up again. Looks good Rick.
Here its a tradition to have sauerkraut with our Christmas turkey.
Had some fresh Pa kraut from local Farmers market.

Warren

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Ha and the Pa habits show up again. Looks good Rick.
Here its a tradition to have sauerkraut with our Christmas turkey.
Had some fresh Pa kraut from local Farmers market.

Warren
She rubbed off on me. Took a Mojave desert rat kid to PA and now look...lol

When we were in Germany my wifes sister took me to a store and we bought german krout from a wood barrel, Damn that was good stuff, wish i had some for this pot.

Well i was going to post the plated pics but i deleted them from my phone :emoji_disappointed:

That sounds like a great recipe. I've had a few plates of Pork and Kraut at assorted Lancaster County Restaurants, that made it way too Sweet. Try making Pork and Sauerkraut with a Rack of Ribs, cut in pairs. The high collagen increases the Lip Smackin' goodness to a new level...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky