New Year's Eve 2013 / 2014 Smoked Rib Roast with Q-Views & Temp Plot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat hound

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Mountain View, CA
The Reason (as if I really needed one…)

More than 10 years ago I had a piece of smoked rib roast while I was in Alaska on a fishing trip with a buddy. My buddy and I still talk about that piece of meat today.  I finally got around to putting a rib roast in my smoker for NYE! Unfortunately my buddy couldn't make it but I sent him pictures just to mess with him.

I am basing my cook on some good advice from BearCarver with a few modifications:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110433/prime-rib-new-best-ever

The Process:

I got a nice 8lb rib roast from Costco. Rubbed it down the day before  with a 'slurry' of Worchstershire and a Garlic BBQ rub from The Salt Lick that my brother-in-law from Houston sends me every Christmas.

I loaded my MasterForge propane smoker with a combo of hickory and mesquite and replenished throughout the smoke.

Put it in the smoker around 200 deg just after noon: 

The roast temperature came up faster than I expected so I cut the smoker temp way back around 1:30 so that we could eat around 7 like we'd been planning on. I nerd out a bit when it comes to coaxing my smoker / meat in terms of timing. The plot below shows how I got the roast to ~135 internal temperature by 6:30 so it rest and I could slice for dinner at 7.

The Outcome:

The roast was nicely cooked. The center slices (below) were a good medium rare to rare and the ends were medium (thanks, BearCarver) for those that like a little less red in their steak. The smoke flavor was nice and as you'd expect most pronounced around the edges and in the end pieces. I was surprised to find myself really enjoying meat from the end pieces despite the fact that they were more well done because they had such a nice smoky flavor.

Our guests loved it as did my wife and my son. In order to let the roast shine and give folks plenty of room to enjoy we kept dinner very simple… we served the rib steaks with a caesar salad and some nice crusty whole grain bread. I'd do it again...

Next Time:

The next time I smoke a rib roast (and there will definitely be a next time!) I would consider using a less spicy rub or skip the rub on the ends of the roast. The flavor was great on the roast overall, but the ends were spicy since they were covered in rub.  I did a super thin trim on the ends to separate the coating of rub from the end steaks that I cut. This worked great… now that I am writing this, maybe I wouldn't change anything… :-)

Last edited:
I agree with you about the rub.....sometimes certain smokes don't need any more than good old salt and pepper. Looks good and appears to be a slice from mine. If I didn't know better......:biggrin:

Happy New Year!
Fred

Looks Mighty Tasty from here, Meat Hound!!!

The one thing I noticed is you said the ends were Med-Well.

When you use 200* for the whole smoke, and pull it at 135*, the whole thing should be Med-Rare (from bark to bark).

I would question the accuracy of your smoker therm. I would think your smoker was over 250* at some point.

Do you use a Maverick, or a built in therm?

Thanks for the views!!

Bear

Last edited:
Bear,

You are right. In my post I said the ends were medium-well but now that I think about it they were not that well done. I would've been disappointed if they were. I don't have any pics of end pieces, but my memory suggests that you are right on... most of the roast was medium rare and the ends were closer to medium.

As far as therms go, I used a Maverick for the first time this time. Previously I used an electronic internal temp probe for the meat and the gauge on the front of my smoker for smoker temp... lots of guys have found that the gauge on the front  door is junk, but I've checked mine a number of times over the 3 years I've had it and it's good within 5-10 degrees.

Bill

Bear,

You are right. In my post I said the ends were medium-well but now that I think about it they were not that well done. I would've been disappointed if they were. I don't have any pics of end pieces, but my memory suggests that you are right on... most of the roast was medium rare and the ends were closer to medium.

As far as therms go, I used a Maverick for the first time this time. Previously I used an electronic internal temp probe for the meat and the gauge on the front of my smoker for smoker temp... lots of guys have found that the gauge on the front  door is junk, but I've checked mine a number of times over the 3 years I've had it and it's good within 5-10 degrees.

Bill
Looking at that beautiful picture of a slice through, I would say only about the outer 1/2" was more than Med-Rare, because in the slice, all but less than the outer 1/2" inch is Med-Rare---My Favorite!!

I'm betting you'll be making more of these in the not too distant future.

Bear

Bear, 

You clearly have a very experienced eye for this... your comment on the 1/2" around the edge being an indicator of what the ends would have looked like makes sense. I guess I just have to do this another hundred times or so and I'll be right there with you ;-)

Bill

Bear, 

You clearly have a very experienced eye for this... your comment on the 1/2" around the edge being an indicator of what the ends would have looked like makes sense. I guess I just have to do this another hundred times or so and I'll be right there with you ;-)

Bill
LOL---That would be a tasty adventure.

Prime Rib is my specialty. I need to add some to my Calendar, but here (Below) it is:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138992/prime-rib-calendar-my-favorite-smokes

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky